Tudor Ball at Bickleigh Castle
- Credit: Archant
Bickleigh Castle was transformed back to its roots for a Tudor Ball hosted by owners Robert and Sarah Hay to celebrate their tenth anniversary as owners of the castle. Photography by Matt Austin
Guest of honour for the ball was Lord Julian Fellowes, writer of the television series Downton Abbey and an Oscar winner for his screenplay for Gosford Park.
Lord Fellowes entertained guests, who were served a traditional Tudor banquet in the castle’s Great Hall, with tales from his career and childhood.
The opening speech for the banquet was given by Royal Navy Lt Russ Williams, who recalled the day he married his wife Samantha, PA to the Princess Royal, at the castle.
The event raised money for Children’s Hospice South West and an auction was conducted during the evening by guest Jamie Breese, antiques and collectables expert and star of the Discovery Channel’s primetime hit TV show Auction Kings. The auction raised a fantastic £3,195 for the charity.
At the end of the evening guests enjoyed a spectacular fireworks display followed by dancing.
- 1 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 2 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 15 festivals and shows happening this summer in Devon
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 7 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views
- 8 6 great walks near Ramsbottom
- 9 7 great walks in Wensleydale
- 10 10 great circular walks in Cheshire