VAG hosts annual show
- Credit: Archant
Art lovers are enjoying an exhibition in Bath which assembles the cream of regional talent
Now in its 109th year, the hugely popular and prestigious Bath Society of Artists Annual Exhibition is currently on display in the city.
The event is the highlight of the Victoria Art Gallery’s calendar and it was open to any artist aged 18 or over to submit work for possible selection.
Prizes up for grabs include the Bath Society of Artists Prize of £1,000, the Bristol Guild Prize of £250 for a 3D work and the Harry Walker RWA Young Artist Prize of £250, awarded to artists aged 18-25. There are also smaller prizes for prints, watercolours, small paintings and drawings.
During the exhibition members of the public will be invited to vote for their favourite art work, with the winner of the Bath Society of Artists Public Choice Prize receiving £500.
More than 300 works are on display at the Bath & North East Somerset Council venue until 31 May. The annual exhibition at The Victoria Art Gallery attracts about 1,000 entries and 7,000 visitors, with sales doubling in the past few years.
The Bath Society of Artists was founded in 1904 and today has a membership of around 120 diverse, talented artists.
- 1 Review: Edgar House, Chester
- 2 Win a year of farm shop food from Hinchliffe's worth £500
- 3 Scarborough's spectacular BIG day out for national Armed Forces Day
- 4 The top 10 Glastonbury performances of all time
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 7 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 8 10 reasons you should visit Canterbury
- 9 Don't miss Hampton Court Palace's divine tulip display this spring
- 10 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
Many distinguished 20th century painters have exhibited with the society, including Walter Sickert, John Singer Sargent and Philip Wilson Steer.
As well as the annual exhibition the society also organises receptions, lectures, private views, loan exhibitions and a members’ exhibition which is held during the winter.
The Victoria Art Gallery, near Pulteney Bridge, is open Tuesday to Saturday from 10am-5pm, Sundays from 1.30-5pm and is closed on Mondays. Admission for the Bath Society of Artists Exhibition is £3.50 including a catalogue. Discovery Card Holders £2.50/under 21s free. 01225 477233; victoriagal.org.uk