Wacidom 2014 Warrington Competition for Young Musicians
- Credit: Archant
Gifted pianist Thomas Kelly from Wistaston, near Crewe, is the winner of the Warrington Competition for Young Musicians.
The competition, held at Arley Hall, the home of Lord and Lady Ashbrook, attracts talented classical musicians from around Cheshire and neighbouring counties and is growing in prestige.
WACIDOM, a voluntary organisation – has organised the competition biennially since 1998. All the adjudicators are fully professional artists, as are the accompanists.
Thomas, who began playing piano at the age of three, played pieces by Skrjabin, Schubert and Liszt.
His musicality won the judges over, who were also impressed by his platform and presentation skills.
Runner-up was Imogen Davies, aged 17, an oboe player who attends Chetham’s School of Music. Third place went to Simeon Evans, a 17-year-old saxophonist, who attends Xaverian College, South Manchester.
The Morag Leech prize was awarded to Hannah Leighton-Jones, from Lymm, who plays the violin. This prize is awarded to a player who shows great talent, but does not reach the final.
- 1 6 of the best October walks in Cheshire
- 2 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 3 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 4 The Norfolk Lights Express is back for spectacular winter train rides
- 5 6 of the best October walks in Yorkshire
- 6 The best second-hand bookshops in Suffolk
- 7 7 autumn walks in Kent to delight the senses
- 8 The best walks in Dorset to see the autumn leaves
- 9 10 of the best beaches for swimming in Devon
- 10 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
Wacidom – Warrington Arts Council Initiative for the Development of Music – was not supported by sponsors this year but did receive a Music Education Grant from Accent, Warrington, and Halton Music Education Trust.
Plans for the next Young Musician competition in 2016 begin soon. Wacidom organisers would be delighted to hear from anyone interested in sponsoring it. For further information, please visit their website at www.musicinwarrington.org.uk