Wacidom 2014 Warrington Competition for Young Musicians
- Credit: Archant
Gifted pianist Thomas Kelly from Wistaston, near Crewe, is the winner of the Warrington Competition for Young Musicians.
The competition, held at Arley Hall, the home of Lord and Lady Ashbrook, attracts talented classical musicians from around Cheshire and neighbouring counties and is growing in prestige.
WACIDOM, a voluntary organisation – has organised the competition biennially since 1998. All the adjudicators are fully professional artists, as are the accompanists.
Thomas, who began playing piano at the age of three, played pieces by Skrjabin, Schubert and Liszt.
His musicality won the judges over, who were also impressed by his platform and presentation skills.
Runner-up was Imogen Davies, aged 17, an oboe player who attends Chetham’s School of Music. Third place went to Simeon Evans, a 17-year-old saxophonist, who attends Xaverian College, South Manchester.
The Morag Leech prize was awarded to Hannah Leighton-Jones, from Lymm, who plays the violin. This prize is awarded to a player who shows great talent, but does not reach the final.
- 1 7 must visit waterside pubs in Sussex
- 2 10 Cheshire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 3 10 North Yorkshire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 4 10 Lancashire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 5 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 6 10 Derbyshire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 7 10 Somerset pubs to enjoy a drink with a view
- 8 WIN £200 worth of luxury silk bed products
- 9 6 luxury places to stay in Suffolk
- 10 18 cottages that will make you want to move to Hampshire
Wacidom – Warrington Arts Council Initiative for the Development of Music – was not supported by sponsors this year but did receive a Music Education Grant from Accent, Warrington, and Halton Music Education Trust.
Plans for the next Young Musician competition in 2016 begin soon. Wacidom organisers would be delighted to hear from anyone interested in sponsoring it. For further information, please visit their website at www.musicinwarrington.org.uk