West Somerset Railway
- Credit: Archant
The West Somerset Railway travels through 20 miles of beautiful Somerset countryside between Bishops Lydeard ( 4 miles from Taunton, Jnc. 25, M5) and Minehead, with its steam trains running through the Quantock Hills and along the Exmoor Coast.
Possible places to explore include the ancient harbour town of Watchet, Washford with Cleeve Abbey and Torre Cider Farm and medieval Dunster with its famous Castle (why not catch the “Dunster Castle Express” at 10.25 from Bishops Lydeard on Wednesdays and Saturdays for a full day’s outing).
For enthusiasts why not visit one of our major special events?: Mixed Traction Weekend on June 7th - 9th and Autumn Steam Gala on October 3rd - 6th or participate in one of our steam and diesel ‘Driver Experience Courses’. From the novice to expert the courses allow you to realise your ambition and make your long held dreams become reality.
New for 2013: Family Character Meet and Greet Days: Day Out With Thomas Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th & Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th July, Mike the Knight on Saturday 31st September and Scooby Doo on Saturday 26th October.
- 1 6 of the best October walks in Cheshire
- 2 The Norfolk Lights Express is back for spectacular winter train rides
- 3 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 6 of the best October walks in Yorkshire
- 6 The best second-hand bookshops in Suffolk
- 7 7 autumn walks in Kent to delight the senses
- 8 The best walks in Dorset to see the autumn leaves
- 9 10 of the best beaches for swimming in Devon
- 10 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
The New for 2013 Ale Train departs on Saturday 27th July featuring guest brewer Quantock Brewery or why not sample our ‘Pie & a Pint’ lunchtime special on 12 July, 13 September.
The CAMRA Real Ale Festival takes place at Minehead Station on Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th September with in excess of 100 real ales, local ciders, perry and a small selection of wine.
Groups of 16 and above enjoy discounted travel, reserved seating and our groups catering menu.
For more information see the Railway’s website at www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk or call 01643 704996. We look forward to seeing you for a relaxing pink knuckle ride and a chance to unwind amid the charms of yesteryear.