Wiltshire GWP Protective steps out for walking football
- Credit: Archant
An Over 50s Walking Football Club, famed by a current Barclays TV advert, have been given Premier league treatment with the donation of a specialist case to transport vital kit and medical equipment overseas.
In April 2015 the club will be travelling to Portugal for the first ever international walking football match and will be using a Zarges case, donated by specialist packaging manufacturer GWP Protective.
Richard Coombes, General Manager of Wiltshire-based GWP Protective, said: “I’d seen the Walking Football Club on TV and thought what an excellent sport this is. The Club contacted me and said they were looking for something suitable in which to carry all their kit to the Algarve for an international friendly. It needed to be lightweight but strong and lockable so I immediately thought of the Zarges case. We have, over the past 18 months, been a leading supplier of these ‘Kit skips’ throughout the footballing pyramid from the premier league to the conference and have seen a significant increase in the amount of teams who now use these as their preferred transportation method. We were delighted to be able to donate a case to them.”
Over 50s Walking Football started in Hampshire and will soon have full English FA coverage in all regions. Participation in the sport has increased dramatically in the last six months and is set to become the largest growth sport in the UK. The ages of players in the club range from 50 – 83.
Michael Quinn runs the Football Club featured in the Barclays advert and said: “with our players being older we do have to
be prepared for any eventuality. The protective case will carry defibrillators, physio bag, crutches, Cryocuffs, footballs
plus all our football kit. The aluminium case that GWP has given us is light, sturdy and lockable so I can relax in the
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 4 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 5 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 6 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 7 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 8 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 9 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 10 Al fresco dining in Cornwall: 9 of the best places to go
knowledge that the equipment is protected and secure. We are absolutely delighted that the guys at GWP have given us this case, it’s really helped us out.”
The club’s international trip will be filmed for a documentary that’s currently being made about the Club and the rise of this innovative sport.