Damien Hirst artwork given to Somerset hospitals
- Credit: none
Yeovil and Musgrove Park hospitals have been chosen from thousands to receive the rainbow prints from the world-famous artist
The two hospitals have been given the incredible opportunity to display Hirst’s work, called Butterfly Wings. In Yeovil it will be displayed in the main hospital foyer, next to an original print by Somerset artist Charlotte England.
The Damien Hirst piece is a rainbow he has created specifically to acknowledge the commitment of the NHS. Similar pieces have been sent to other hospitals and form part of the artist’s wider support for the NHS during the pandemic, but Somerset Life understands the two Somerset hospitals were only 50, from thousands across the UK, that were chosen to have the special delivery from Hirst.
The Charlotte England work is an illustration featuring the slogan ‘Now wash your hands’. The Somerset-based artist is selling prints of the work, with all profits going to Yeovil Hospital Charity. Several have been sold to local companies, for them to display in their staff facilities.
The A5 prints cost £10 and can be purchased from her website
Charlotte, who is based in Yeovil, Somerset said “I created this ‘please wash your hands piece’ during the lockdown in March. I wanted to create a clear message but in a fun and more friendly way. I hope it will be displayed in bathrooms, cafes, schools, businesses and hospitals and will make people smile during what seems to be a time of uncertainty. I created the piece using watercolours and inks.”
Damien Hirst says: “I wanted to do something to support the many people who are risking their lives to help those in need during this time of crisis. The rainbow is a sign of hope.”
- 1 WIN £200 worth of luxury silk bed products
- 2 Win a luxury ladies watch worth £199
- 3 Win super stylish summer shades!
- 4 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 Win a watercolour painting of The Matchings by artist James Merriott
- 7 A fond farewell to Torbay from the captain of cruise ship Eurodam
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 13 beautiful riverside pubs to visit in the Cotswolds
- 10 Win £500 of English wine from Lyme Bay Winery