Young volunteers make a big impact
- Credit: Archant
Clare Bourke looks at care issues across Somerset. Young volunteers are making an impact at a day centre for the elderly
A group of young people from across Bath and North East Somerset rose to the challenge when they were asked to help refurbish a day centre for the elderly.
The nine youngsters carried out the work at St Michael’s day centre in Bath, which is run by Age UK Bath & North East Somerset.
The work was carried out as part of the Prince’s Trust Team Programme, a 12-week personal development course provided by Bath-based Inner Flame. The course aims to give 16 to 25-year-olds a chance to work in their communities, providing work experience, qualifications and practical skills.
The nine volunteers and their tutor spent 10 days working at St Michael’s, painting the two main rooms, the hallway and toilets, as well as cleaning the outside decking area and putting new compost and plants in place.
Janet Dabbs, chief executive of Age UK B&NES, says: “These young people have worked very hard to help improve our day centre; we’re very grateful for their time and efforts and I’d like to say ‘thank you.’ I was very moved by the personal development I saw in these young people, through their involvement with the older members of the day centre. They gained confidence in talking to older people and vice versa - both the young people and the older people really benefitted from the experience.”
Team leader, Rob Swindells, from Inner Flame, says: “It’s been great to see young people on the course giving something back to the local community, always showing willingness to make a difference, not only to themselves, but to others.”
- 1 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 2 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 WIN £500 worth of preloved designer clothes
- 5 23 cottages that will make you want to move to Surrey
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 9 lovely beaches in Cornwall that allow dogs all-year-round
- 9 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 10 Beautiful places to go wild swimming in Suffolk