Award winning wildlife photographer exhibits at Merstham gallery
- Credit: Archant
Award winning wildlife photographer Alannah Hawker will be showcasing her latest works at the Rt Gallery in Merstham from Friday November 28.
Share your Surrey wildlife photography @ www.surreylife.co.uk/photos
Included will be this stunning image of a red fox, titled A Quick Glance, which achieved highly commended in the recent British Wildlife Photography Awards attended by celebrity wildlife expert and photographer Chris Packham.
As well as familiar British wildlife favourites, the exhibition will feature more exotic animals including big cats and bears.
The 22-year-old has travelled the UK to attain fabulous images, sometimes camping out to maximise chances of the perfect shot.
Her trips aren’t always so distant though and a recent visit to Richmond Park has produced some beautiful pictures of the deer in atmospheric autumn mists.
Alannah’s own garden at home in Merstham continues to be a haven. Regular visitors include foxes, squirrels, hedgehogs and woodmice, as well as birds - all are potential stars of the show and come into sharp focus under her lens.
- 1 10 of the prettiest Villages in Dorset to visit
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 16 films that you might not know were made in Devon
- 4 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 5 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 6 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 7 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 8 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 9 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 10 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
Her skills are being recognised across the wildlife photography community.
This year, she was one of the winners of the big cat competition in Surrey Life magazine’s sister title Photography Monthly. Her image was so striking that they featured an interview with Alannah and a double page spread in the Black & White technique section of the June 2014 issue, which also featured Chris Packham and Andy Rouse.
She also volunteers at Wildlife Aid Foundation in Leatherhead, a charity dedicated to the rescue, care and rehabilitation of sick, injured and orphaned wild animals.
• Wildlife photographer Alannah Hawker at Rt Gallery, 2 High Street, Merstham, Surrey RH1 3EA from Friday November 28, 6pm, to Tuesday December 9. More at www.alannahhawker.com and www.rtgallery.co.uk
MORE FOR ANIMAL LOVERS
• Surrey Wildlife Trust has a monthly column in Surrey Life magazine
• British Wildlife Centre, near Lingfield - a wild day out in Surrey
• The new WWF headquarters in Woking: one of the UK’s greenest buildings and a new Surrey attraction
• Actress Virginia McKenna on Born Free, life in Coldharbour and her memoirs, The Life in My Years
• Nicholas Owen meets Wildlife Aid’s Simon Cowell
• Discover how the Shalford-based David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation is helping to protect the world’s endangered species