*VIDEO* Surrey couple’s Bolivian lion rescue set for cinemas
- Credit: Archant
A critically-acclaimed documentary about a Walton-on-Thames couple’s rescue of 25 lions from Bolivian circuses, Lion Ark will enjoy a special viewing in Guildford before heading for a star studded gala night in Leicester Square.
Based on Jan Creamer and Tim Phillips’ lion rescue mission in Bolivia, the action adventure style documentary tells the story of the lions’ journey from suffering to freedom.
Produced and directed by the couple with crowd-funding and donations – including from CSI actress Jorja Fox – Lion Ark first screened at Raindance in London with a lively introduction by actor Brian Blessed.
The film picked up six awards on the international film festival circuit, as well as a nomination for an NAACP Image Award for outstanding international motion picture.
Lion Ark has a gala screening in Leicester Square on Saturday December 6, with special guests including Bill Oddie, Alexei Sayle and Gillian McKeith, but Guildford audiences will have the chance to see the film first at The Electric Theatre on Monday December 1.
• Lion Ark at The Electric Theatre, Onslow Street, Guildford GU1 4SZ on Monday December 1st at 8pm. Tickets here
MORE FOR ANIMAL LOVERS
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 4 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 5 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 6 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
- 7 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 8 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 9 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 10 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
• Surrey Wildlife Trust has a monthly column in Surrey Life magazine
• British Wildlife Centre, near Lingfield - a wild day out in Surrey
• The new WWF headquarters in Woking: one of the UK’s greenest buildings and a new Surrey attraction
• Actress Virginia McKenna on Born Free, life in Coldharbour and her memoirs, The Life in My Years
• Nicholas Owen meets Wildlife Aid’s Simon Cowell
• Discover how the Shalford-based David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation is helping to protect the world’s endangered species