Your winter wildlife diary
Get out and about to see the best wildlife this winter
Lee Valley walk
Monday December 27Burn off that Christmas pudding! This easy 5 to 6 mile walk in the River Lee Country Park will take you through an outstanding birdwatching area, with an optional lunch at Waltham Abbey. Meet 9.30am at Fisher’s Green car park. For more details contact Dave Laming at the Welwyn Hatfield group of Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust on 01438 798213.
The Great Sunday Roost: Hertfordshire Bittern Day
Sunday January 162.30-4.30pm, Amwell Nature Reserve near Stanstead Abbotts. Join Tim Hill, Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust’s Conservation Manager, to search for the elusive bittern at Amwell Nature Reserve, where four birds wintered last year. There will be a guided walk to tell you all about bitterns and their habitats followed by a dusk watch to look for birds as they go to roost.This is one of a number of events being held to mark Hertfordshire Bittern Day. Other events are happening at Tring Reservoirs, Rye Meads Nature Reserve and Lee Valley Regional Park – visit our website www.hertswildlifetrust.org.uk to find out more. Minimum donation of �3 requested. Booking essential – for more details and to book call Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust on 01727 858901.
Learn how to birdwatch
Saturday January 2911am-3pm. Family event at Verulamium Park in St Albans. Learn about the birds you can see on the lake and surrounding parkland. HMWT staff will be on hand with telescopes and binoculars to help you identify birds and learn about their behaviour. The nearest car parks are off St Michael’s Street (follow signs to Roman Museum) or Westminster Lodge (bottom of Holywell Hill). Look out for us on the lake edge (five minute walk from either car park). �3 donation requested. For more information call Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust on 01727 858901.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 3 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 6 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 7 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 8 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 9 Bluebell walks in Suffolk: Beautiful spring woodlands to explore
- 10 Bluebell woods in Derbyshire: Top 5 places to go for woodland walks