Wizard’s Thatch, Alderley Edge
- Credit: not Archant
It may not have won Channel 4’s Four in a Bed, but the gothic, intriguing charm of Wizard’s Thatch in Alderley Edge will cast a spell on you
Fans of TV’s Four in a Bed series may recognise the room in this photo.
For Wizard’s Thatch, an award-winning atmospheric 17th century rambling cottage B&B with a thatched roof, just a stone’s thrown from The Edge at Alderley, recently featured in the Channel 4 series which sees B&B owners competing in a ‘who’s best’ competition.
Owners Ian and Ali Lambert cannot boast of five-star features in their delightful luxury escape, but I can vouch for the fact that if you stay here, you’ll be charmed.
Whether you choose the Merlin Suite, The Camelot or The Wizardy, you’ll feel like you’ve stepped into a scene from Harry Potter. The old thatched porch leads into low-beamed lounges, dark leaning walls and some genuinely antique furniture, prints and ornaments.
This property has been in Ian Lambert’s family for two centuries. Wizard’s Thatch takes its name from the local legend involving a wizard, King Arthur and his knights. But olde worlde curiosities aside, the cottage is equipped with WiFi, the latest LCD TV, DVD players and quality bathroom fittings that any discerning modern guest would expect. All rooms have fresh floral displays and the very obliging owners can arrange for champagne on ice when you arrive.
I spent a very cosy evening here in a suite overlooking their pretty garden with twinkling fairy lights.
- 1 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 2 These are the Cornwall beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 3 What's on in Norfolk June 2022
- 4 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 5 10 Cheshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 10 Yorkshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: 13 events to celebrate in Cornwall
- 8 Ball and Boe announce a new album for 2022
- 9 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 10 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
If you’re having a bunch of friends over to stay and don’t have quite enough room for them, send them to Wizard’s Thatch. The only thing this B&B doesn’t do is breakfast - unless you are satisfied with a toaster, kettle and cafetiere. But as Ian pointed out, guests are literally around the corner from several London Road eateries who do excellent breakfasts. That arrangement was fine for me. I’m not a lover of big breakfasts...and I was also under the magical spell of this very cute, unique establishment.
Contact Ian personally for their best rates.