Two of Yorkshire's bucket-and-spade beaches ranked best in UK
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Seaside hotspots Filey and Scarborough are named as some of the best in the UK for a brilliant bucket-and-spade family holiday.
In a survey by consumer body Which? Filey was rated 81pc and revealed as one of five budget-friendly seaside destinations with hotels £100 or cheaper with an average hotel price per night of £98.
Scarborough scored 71pc with an average hotel price per night of £85.
The survey revealed that the great British seaside holiday is as popular as ever - as you might expect given that the pandemic put paid to holidays abroad. But it showed that seaside destinations are upping their game when it comes to providing a simple seaside holiday to remember.
The survey asked more than 4,300 visitors to rate coastal resorts they have visited across a range of categories including quality of beaches, seafront, tourist attractions, food and drink, scenery, peace and quiet and value for money.
Rory Boland, Editor of Which? Travel, said:
'The British seaside hasn’t boomed like this since the 1960s. Holidaymakers had such a fantastic time in their caravans, tents and beach lodges over the past two years that a coastal break on home shores is on the cards for many, even with restrictions on overseas travel lifted.
- 1 Where and when to watch The Queen's Jubilee Flypast
- 2 Cotswold designers win big at Chelsea Flower Show in 2022
- 3 Devon and Cornwall folk star in new TV series
- 4 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Waterfalls, Weirs and Cascades of the Peak District
- 6 Review: Chicago the Musical at Manchester Opera House
- 7 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: 13 events to celebrate in Cornwall
- 8 The life and death of Manchester Arena bombing victim Martyn Hett
- 9 What's on in Norfolk June 2022
- 10 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
'Prices for a UK stay have increased, but there’s no need to pay over the odds. For a holiday on a budget it’s best to aim for an off-season trip. Head to one of the many well priced resorts with your bucket and spade, an empty stomach for the candyfloss and a pile of 2p coins and go make your fortune on the slots.'
The top spot in the survey was Bamburgh in Northumberland.