Round-the-world sailor shares favourite Dorset sailing and swimming locations
- Credit: 2020 Richard Langdon/Oceanimages
When Poole-based sailor Pip Hare completed the gruelling single-handed round-the-world Vendée Globe yacht race in February this year, after 95 ½ days at sea, she realised a long-held dream. When she was back on dry land we asked Pip to share some of her favourite, and more local, sailing and swimming spots in Dorset, places where she likes to chill in summer.
Studland Bay: An ideal anchorage on a summer evening. Row ashore for a walk on the beach then back to the boat for a serene evening at anchor listening to the water gently lapping at the sides of the boat. The sunrise brings a beautiful light to Old Harry Rocks.
Poole Harbour: This is the biggest playground for anyone who loves the water. Swimming, dinghy safari, kayaking, racing, kite-surfing, overnight anchorages - the fun never stops. I’m so lucky to have this on my doorstep, I can be found on or in the water here most days.
Weymouth Bay and Portland Harbour: This is the home of speed sailing, so if you’re after thrills and spills it’s the place to go. Although the tide around Portland Bill is ferocious, there is very little in the bay and normally flat water so it’s great to make boats go fast.
Chapmans Pool: This is one of my favourite wild swimming spots, with a little fossil hunting on the side. It’s well worth the trek down all those steps.
Poole Bay: Thursday night racing from Parkstone Yacht Club is one of the best things about summer. Race from inside the harbour out into the bay, finish as the sun is setting then retire to the club for a crew meal and spectacular views across the harbour.
Find out more at piphareoceanracing.com
- 1 The Hairy Bikers Yorkshire Food Tour
- 2 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021
- 4 12 best Devon Christmas markets for 2021
- 5 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 6 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 7 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 8 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 9 The Hairy Bikers Go North to explore the Yorkshire coast
- 10 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Somerset this Halloween