5 things you need to know about Lymm
- Credit: Archant
Lymm has so much to offer, from stunning scenery to wonderful independent businesses who do what they do just for you.
1. The name Lymm has Celtic origins and means ‘a place of running water.’ It is likely to be derived from a stream running through the centre of the original village. Today of course a stream descending from Lymm Dam, Slitten Brook, crosses the Bridgewater Canal in Lymm, as it heads towards Warrington and the canal offers many lovely walks through the area.
2. Lymm village centre is a designated conservation area and contains the only Grade 1 listed construction in the Warrington area, the Lymm Cross. Standing on ancient red sandstone steps, the current cross was mounted in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. The preceding cross was put there in the mid-17th century, along with the village stocks, used for summary justice of local miscreants. It is not known however how far back the original monument reaches; it could be Saxon or even Roman in its origins.
3. The community spirit in Lymm is second to none, with annual events ancient and new populating its calendar. Do make the effort to go along to their annual Carols at the Cross event, this Christmas Eve. Join local choristers and musicians in singing all your favourites, admire the village Christmas Tree and sip mulled wine – the perfect way to start Christmas!
4. Lymm, with its varied choice of beautiful homes and the welcoming village lifestyle it offers attracts many a celebrity resident. One gentleman who has brought a smile to the face of generations of children is Matthew Corbett, best known for his role in TV show Sooty & Sweep, where he took over from his father Harry the role of straight man to Sweep the fun-loving hound, Sooty - the sensible (and butt of Sweep’s pranks) bear - and gentle, forgiving Sue the panda.
5. Lymm Dam is perhaps one of Cheshire’s most treasured beauty spots and it owes its creation to the resistance of residents to having a major road running through their village. Created in 1854 to allow for the construction of the road now known as the A56 it provides a haven for residents, visitors and native wildlife
Make a day of it...
- 1 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 Norfolk's beautiful Blue Flag beaches 2021
- 9 13 of the best places to get coffee in Hampshire
- 10 One Suffolk beach given Blue Flag status for 2021
The Venue is the place to be if you like live music (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and
early Sunday) and comedy (once a month) It’s Lymm’s answer to The Cavern! They also offer a fantastic selection of beers (incl 2 real ales), continental lagers, wines, spirits and cocktails, with Fosters and Boddingtons £2 and 2 for 1 cocktails till 9 every night.
Rectory Lane, Lymm WA13 0AQ
thevenuelymm.co.uk | 01925 756393
Arches Shoes & Bags
If you’re seeking affordable quality and style you should head to Arches; with top footwear brands including Rieker, Marco Tozzi and Lotus, plus quirky Ruby Shoo, Arches of Lymm offers just that. Add Fair Trade fashion label Nomads, Earth Squared accessories, Moshulu slippers, Lily & Me fashion and Fiorelli bags, all delivering lots of lovely gift ideas and you’re set for the winter season!
18 Eagle Brow, Lymm, WA13 0LJ
01925 751977 | archesshoesbags.co.uk
Collect Art specialises in Modern British Artists, particularly Theodore Major, Lawrence Isherwood & L S Lowry amongst others. They have in stock a wide
range of paintings by well known artists from all over the UK & abroad and also offer a sourcing service to help locate any specific painting you are after, plus are also
interested in buying paintings either single or whole collections.
29 The Cross, Lymm, WA13 0HR
collectart.co.uk | 01925 759988
Orb Jewellery is a leader in British jewellery design, attracting attention from the fashion world and selective clients with collections of modern and contemporary jewellery. Orb continues to adapt to trends while maintaining quality and style, bringing demand and success with each and every unique personally designed piece of jewellery.
1 The Grove, Lymm, WA13 0HW
orbjewellery.co.uk | 01925 759492
Paul Bains Flooring
With more than 20 years’ experience bringing quality flooring to Cheshire and Greater Manchester, Paul Bains Flooring Solutions Ltd knows what’s best for your floors. From helping you choose from a range of samples to moving furniture during installation and leaving your premises tidier than we found it, we aim to cause minimal stress for you.
101 Bucklow Gardens, Lymm, WA13 9RN
paulbainsflooringsolutions.co.uk | 01925 758 835
Due to the expansion of Puure’s bridal department they are changing the shop next year by closing our lingerie department and concentrating on all aspects of bridal…which means they are holding a massive stock clearance on lingerie – all major brands at massive reduced prices! Just in time for Christmas!
10 Eagle Brow, Lymm, WA13 0LJ
puurebride.co.uk | 01925 556673