Food & Drink news: Burnham on Sea Festival
- Credit: sub
Here is our pick of the latest tasty delights from around the county
The Burnham on Sea Food & Drink Festival has made it through a rigorous shortlisting process to reach the final stage in the Countryside Alliance Awards Rural Oscars.
The festival is competing in the Tourism Enterprise category against nine other businesses from across England and Wales for the Championship title.
There were more than 3,500 nominations from the public in the four categories.
The awards were set up 11 years ago to offer a voice and a platform for rural businesses and are a celebration of the the British countryside.
The next stage is a visit from the panel of judges and the awards will be announced at a reception at the House of Lords on 27 April.
Festival Director Sarah Milner Simonds says: “We admire the Countryside Alliance and to have been shortlisted from such a large number of nominations is humbling. It is one of our aims to create a year round boost to the rural businesses that take part in the festivals and build on the regular footfall to the town by introducing new people to its charms.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 4 of the best Norfolk gardens to see rhododendrons
- 9 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 10 Wild Essex: 5 hotspots for nature lovers
* Porlock butcher Clive Downs is one of the 10 butchery businesses to have been selected for the finals and will also be off to London in April when the winners will be announced.
Clive champions the use of locally-sourced meats whenever possible and regularly purchases meats from the West Somerset College Farm Unit.
He says: “I am delighted that we have been selected and thank those who nominated us for the award. To be considered as one of the top 10 butchers in England is certainly an honour and hopefully we will do Porlock proud.”