The Swan in Bampton
- Credit: Archant
This little place has more awards than you can shake a stick at. Susan Clark went to see what all the fuss is about….
The Swan at Bampton had been on my radar for a while and not least because it won our own Devon Life best gastropub award in 2014 and the prestigious Trencherman’s Guide best pub award for 2016.
The word-of-mouth reviews were good and Devon’s foodie critics clearly rated the place which styles itself as a Classic Inn.
The good news about this is that once you have braved the long and winding road to Bampton you can unpack your overnight case and stay the night in one of three recently refurbished rooms which are all comfortable, charmingly quirky and nicely spacious.
But enough of the rooms, what you’re really here for is the food and believe me, it is worth the perilous drive if it happens to be night and you are driving (as we were) through lashing rain and around hairpin bends.
The food coming out of what is a teeny tiny kitchen is an absolute triumph and is the reason The Swan at Bampton is winning all the top awards.
Chef Paul Berry and his partner Donna clearly know their foodie onions and, as you can see from these photos, have crafted a contemporary menu that will have you booking a return visit at about the time you are regretfully checking out the morning after your meal.
- 1 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 2 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 Wild Essex: 5 hotspots for nature lovers
- 9 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 10 4 of the best Norfolk gardens to see rhododendrons
The couple work hard to give you a great dining experience and deserve all the success they are currently enjoying.
For late winter prices, specials offers and the current menu visit the theswan.co