Catch and cook your own luxury shellfish supper with a Yorkshire chef
- Credit: Archant
Join chef Andy Hill at Raithwaite Sandsend for a unique seafood dining experience
A luxury hotel is inviting visitors to join its head chef and set sail for the freshest of suppers on one-day fishing trips for crab and lobster.
Guests and visitors at Raithwaite Sandsend can hop on board fishing boat The Mistress Whitby and join the fishing crew who will show them the traditional way of catching native shellfish from the boat.
Trips coincide with the peak of lobster and crab fishing season, Raithwaite Sandsend has launched the weekly boat charter for guests to experience lobster potting and potentially. an exciting wildlife safari.
Trips are every Wednesday until November 4, and as well as gaining hands-on experience from an experienced local fisherman, guests can watch wildlife including whales, dolphins and seals.
Seafood lovers will have the opportunity to take their catch back to the hotel, ready for Head Chef Andy Hill to prepare and cook for supper at Raithwaite Sandsend’s restaurant, The Brasserie.
The day trip starts at dawn and guests can help the crew place the lobster pots out to sea as they discover more about traditional ways of fishing in this part of the North Sea.
- 1 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 2 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 3 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 4 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 5 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 6 Yorkshire Wolds walk - Thixendale to Hanging Grimston
- 7 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 8 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 9 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 Steph McGovern on her new lunchtime show, Steph’s Packed Lunch
Once pots are in place, the boat set sail along the North Yorkshire coast for a unique view of Whitby and its abbey and the chance to spot marine life in the waves, such as porpoises, seals, seabirds, dolphins and even whales.
Arriving back at the lobster pots, it’s time to see if the catch has been successful and, as the crabs and lobsters are collected, discover how they are measured, graded and have their claws banded.
The lobster fishing and wildlife safari is £120 per person with space for six people socially-distanced on board The Mistress. Price includes dinner with your catch cooked at Raithwaite Sandsend.