Know your skin
- Credit: Archant
Otter Nurseries is set to host a skincare event to raise awareness of sun-damaged skin
This weekend (16-17 August 2014) will see Otter Nurseries in Ottery St Mary and LEO Pharma team up to host a skincare event as part of the Know Your Skin campaign.
The Know Your Skin campaign aims to raise awareness of solar keratosis among gardeners.
Solar keratosis (also known as SK) is defined as rough or scaly skin patches that develop where unprotected skin has been exposed to the sun over time. In a small number of cases, SK can lead to non-melanoma skin cancer, although this is rare.
Visitors to the Know Your Skin stand will be able to step inside the UV imaging photobooth to see the effects that prolonged sun exposure can have on their face.
Dr Tony Downs, Consultant Dermatologist from the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, and Charlotte Fiona from charity Skcin will both be there all day on Saturday 16 to offer advice.
Dr Downs comments: “Solar keratosis is more likely to affect people who have hobbies involving prolonged sun exposure, such as gardening. The Know Your Skin campaign advises people on how to spot the signs of sun damage and also how to prevent it, so we hope that by being at Otter Nurseries, we’re encouraging gardeners in Devon to dedicate more time to truly knowing their skin.”
- 1 Tolkien fans won't want to miss this Middle-Earth exhibition in Basingstoke
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 'Gastro-Glastonbury' festival is heading to Bournemouth
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 7 See inside this 400 year old Prestbury home on the market for £5.6 million
- 8 9 Norfolk hidden history sites opening for free
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
The event takes place on Saturday 16 August from 9am-5.30pm and Sunday 17 August 10.30am-4.30pm at Otter Nurseries, Ottery St Mary, EX11 1LZ.
For more information, visit knowyourskin.co.uk