Know your skin
- Credit: Archant
Otter Nurseries is set to host a skincare event to raise awareness of sun-damaged skin
This weekend (16-17 August 2014) will see Otter Nurseries in Ottery St Mary and LEO Pharma team up to host a skincare event as part of the Know Your Skin campaign.
The Know Your Skin campaign aims to raise awareness of solar keratosis among gardeners.
Solar keratosis (also known as SK) is defined as rough or scaly skin patches that develop where unprotected skin has been exposed to the sun over time. In a small number of cases, SK can lead to non-melanoma skin cancer, although this is rare.
Visitors to the Know Your Skin stand will be able to step inside the UV imaging photobooth to see the effects that prolonged sun exposure can have on their face.
Dr Tony Downs, Consultant Dermatologist from the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, and Charlotte Fiona from charity Skcin will both be there all day on Saturday 16 to offer advice.
Dr Downs comments: “Solar keratosis is more likely to affect people who have hobbies involving prolonged sun exposure, such as gardening. The Know Your Skin campaign advises people on how to spot the signs of sun damage and also how to prevent it, so we hope that by being at Otter Nurseries, we’re encouraging gardeners in Devon to dedicate more time to truly knowing their skin.”
- 1 The Cheshire choirs singing for Christmas
- 2 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 3 Win a winter break at the Shireburn Arms in the heart of the Ribble Valley
- 4 WIN £250 worth of Christmas food and drink
- 5 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 6 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 7 Win a £1000 rug from Alternative Flooring
- 8 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 9 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 10 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021
The event takes place on Saturday 16 August from 9am-5.30pm and Sunday 17 August 10.30am-4.30pm at Otter Nurseries, Ottery St Mary, EX11 1LZ.
For more information, visit knowyourskin.co.uk