Land Rover pilot scheme for 11-17 year olds
- Credit: Archant
Land Rover has developed a new driving programme for children – Start Off-Road.
The scheme allows 11-17 year olds to get behind the wheel of a Range Rover Evoque and experience true off-road driving, teaching them skills and techniques that they will go on to utilise throughout their future years both on and off road.
Participants have the chance to experience driving techniques including basics such as steering, braking and reversing, as well as more advanced skills such as climbing and descending hills, crossing ditches and ridges, negotiating ruts, wet grass and mud, and even crossing water.
Statistics show that younger drivers pick up new skills easier and are more open to learning good driving habits. By instilling the basics in them at an early stage it is hoped that they will gain invaluable experience for later in life.
Each student receives a personalised Log Book in which to record progress so that when they come again – to the same venue or another venue - they pick up where they left off.
Each Range Rover Evoque is fitted with dual controls for safety as well as an automatic gearbox, and a dedicated team of instructors are on hand to take participants through every scenario. Parents can also take part in the activity.
Pilot courses are being run at four locations throughout the UK:
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 13 of the best afternoon teas to try in Cornwall
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Fish and chips in Cornwall you need to try
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 9 New for 2021: Be a-mazed by this Cornish hedge
- 10 6 of the best August walks in Cheshire
• Chavenage House – Gloucestershire - Sunday October 13
• West London Shooting School – Middlesex - Saturday November 2
• Duncombe Park – North Yorkshire - Sunday September 29; Sunday October 27; Sunday November 24
• Rockingham Castle – Leicestershire - Sunday October 6; Sunday November 10
• Ragley Hall – Warwickshire - Saturday October 19; Sunday November 17
David Saunders, General Manager of Land Rover Experience, commented “The Land Rover Start Off-Road programme is designed to offer youngsters something unique that they wouldn’t usually be able to experience. Not only is it a fun day out, it also teaches an invaluable skill set to youngsters before they can even obtain a license. It helps instill confidence in them, gives them a head start and should help make for proficient driving in the future.”
For further details visit: www.startoff-road.com