Points of interest on Katie B Morgan’s map of Fairford

Park: Ernest Cook Trust took over the estate in the 1950s. Ernest Cook bequeathed his estates to form a UK educational charity, teaching a love and respect of the countryside through using outdoor experiences.

Dove: Dovecote in Park Street.

Ox: Oxpens were used to accommodate pairs of oxen for ploughing.

Community Centre: Farmor’s School, originally Fairford Free School, opened in 1738.

The Bull: Old coaching inn.

Great British Life: Park Lodge, Fairford, Gloucestershire. (c) Katie B MorganPark Lodge, Fairford, Gloucestershire. (c) Katie B Morgan

Retort House: Original site of the Fairford Gas and Coke Company.

Concorde: The airfield was used for the testing of Concorde.

Red Arrows: The Royal International Air Tattoo comes to Fairford every July.

RAF: In memory of Lt. Rogers, decorated WW2 Flight Lieutenant.

Hare sculpture: Part of the Cotswolds Hare Trail.

Border design: Based on St Mary’s complete set of 28 medieval stained-glass windows, telling the story of the Bible.

Flags: Poland – Fairford Polish Hostel 1947-1959. Buffalo Flag – In 1851 the Bishop of Rupert’s land added Fairford to Manitoba to honour Abraham Cowley of Fairford, who went there as a missionary. African Flag – in 2013, two schoolboys, Christian Thompson and Robbie Cribley, found the skeleton of a 1,000-year-old African woman in the River Coln.

Great British Life: Katie's dog Jet visits the grave of Tiddles in Fairford, Gloucestershire. (c) Katie B MorganKatie's dog Jet visits the grave of Tiddles in Fairford, Gloucestershire. (c) Katie B Morgan

Cat: The grave of Tiddles the tabby church cat (1963-1980).

Circle patterns: Designs based on saucer brooches in the Anglo-Saxon Fairford Graves at Milton End found in 1850.

Frog: A story in Kings Pamphlet Aug 2, 1660 claimed a plague of frogs and toads spread over the Justice of the Peace and the Lord’s houses in the town, followed on another day by a swarm of flies. It was thought to be a punishment because they refused to help when non-conformists were troubled by locals.

Book: John Keble, priest, theologian and poet, and leading figure in the ‘Oxford Movement’ (part of the Catholic Revival).

Book: Fairford Book Festival for children.

Brick: Fairford brickworks (1850-1920).

Great British Life: The Fairford Plough, Fairford, Gloucestershire. (c) Katie B MorganThe Fairford Plough, Fairford, Gloucestershire. (c) Katie B Morgan

Palmer Hall: Land for the Palmer Hall was donated to the people of Fairford by Arkell's Brewery, who own the Plough Inn. The building was funded by Colonel A J Palmer, director of Huntley & Palmer biscuit company.

Traction engine: Fairford Steam, Classic and Retro Show is on August 19-20, 2023.

Peace symbol: Peace protest in 2003. The Fairford five broke into RAF Fairford protesting against the Iraq war.

Dilly’s Bridge: Named after a Golden retriever called Dilys.

Fairford Town Crier: Maurice Jones did this job for 30 years, retiring in 2014.

Groves Place: Former site of Busby’s Garage.

Prints and cards available from Katie’s shop page at kbmorgan.co.uk

Follow @katies_maps on Instagram or email thedecorativepainter@gmail.com