Best Young Volunteer of the Year award for Heavitree charity shop worker
- Credit: Archant
Former WESC Foundation student Ian Morrison has won the Charity Retail Association’s prestigious award
FORMER WESC Foundation student, Ian Morrison, has been awarded the Charity Retail Associations national award for Best Young Volunteer of the Year following his contribution to the organisations charity shop in Heavitree, Exeter.
Ian, 25, received residential education and care at WESC from the age of four and started volunteering for the organisation in March 2010.
Andy Roberts, WESC’s Social Enterprise Manager, comments: “Ian has a number of disabilities to contend with, but he is always happy, positive, punctual, reliable, smart, polite, and he genuinely loves working at the shop. He has a positive impact on everyone he meets and a regular customer left a legacy of £30,000 to the charity, this was a direct result of seeing the progress in Ian.”
In 2010, the WESC Social Enterprise Department was nationally recognised by the Charity Retail Association for its innovating practise of using the charities shops to inspire young people at WESC to realise and maximise their full potential.
“WESC created individual, worthwhile vocational experiences that complemented each young person’s personality and ability. Our aim is to aid the transition from college to adulthood by giving our young people new skills and social interactions that will build on their self-confidence. Our social enterprise shops enable students to leave WESC confident in their own abilities and that in turn enables them to contribute to society in a way that leaves others also inspired by their achievements.”
Ian Morrison is an excellent example of how someone given the right encouragement, support and vocational stimuli can not only achieve great things, but also positively impact, and contribute to the lives of others. We are immensely proud of his achievement and of the contribution he, and his colleagues, make every day.” adds Andy.
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 4 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 5 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 6 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 7 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 8 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 9 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 10 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
For more information about WESC Social Enterprise Scheme, please visit wescfoundation.ac.uk