Devon artist makes television debut
- Credit: Archant
Meadows are brought to life through Yvonne Coomber’s art, which has drawn the attention of BBC One’s Countryfile as they seek to uncover the wonders of the British meadow.
CONTEMPORARY artist from Totnes, Yvonne Coomber, has been approached by BBC One to appear on an upcoming episode of Countryfile. The programme will explore the beauty of the British meadow, a subject which this talented, well-known artist is very familiar with.
Capturing the beauty of the British countryside through her colourful canvas paintings, all of which are painted outdoors, she is somewhat of a specialist in studying the unique, wild character and intrinsic details that shape our landscape. She uses mixed media in her art which has included glitter, gold leaf and multiple layers of rainbow-strewn pigments and paint. Rich in colour, her paintings evoke a sense of happiness and wonder in the viewer.
Presenter Naomi Wilkinson visited Yvonne at her Devon studio to find out more about her colourful paintings of wild hedgerows, tangled meadows, open moorlands and magical forests. The artist is popular for her flowerscapes, drenched in rainbow colours, which celebrate all that is beautiful about the British countryside. Her work has stretched beyond Devon’s borders and is collected worldwide.
It will be Yvonne’s television debut and Countryfile is one of the top three most-watched television shows in the UK, with a reported nine million viewers tuning in at the beginning of the year.
Yvonne said: “I was absolutely thrilled to be asked to take part in the show because it was exploring a subject I am so passionate about; the British meadow is central to my work and I thrive on immersing myself in the magical wild places found within the Devonshire countryside.”
She added: “My late father was a farmer and knew a little of my commercial success as an artist before he died, but he would be absolutely tickled pink to learn that I was going to appear on Countryfile as it was his favourite show!”
- 1 Waterfalls, Weirs and Cascades of the Peak District
- 2 These are the Devon beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 3 How to make Jemma Melvin's Lemon Swiss Roll and Amaretti trifle
- 4 These are the Cornwall beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 5 Win tickets to see Alfie Boe and Michael Ball at Plymouth Central Park
- 6 Top 10 Dorset pubs with pretty beer gardens
- 7 Blue Flag Beaches 2022: 10 outstanding Kent beaches to visit
- 8 9 of Norfolk’s best beaches to visit
- 9 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 Where was The Essex Serpent TV series filmed?
Yvonne Coomber’s television debut on Countryfile will air on BBC One on July 17 at 7pm.
To see more of Yvonne’s artwork, visit: yvonnecoomber.com