CHESS The Musical comes to Cheltenham
- Credit: Archant
Promenade Productions will be presenting a fully staged production of CHESS with a full Orchestra at The Bacon Theatre from July 8-11
Played out on an international stage and filled with political intrigue, CHESS the musical explores a romantic triangle between two players in a world Chess championship and the woman who manages one of the players and falls in love with the other. CHESS features such well-know numbers “I know him so well”, “One night in Bangkok” and “Anthem”.
Set in the 1970’s at a time when tensions created by the Cold War were easing, the storyline for CHESS is based on one of the most surreal of all Cold War confrontations – the Chess tournament between the USA and the USSR. The characters of the protagonists are loosely based on the those of Victor Korchnoi and Bobby Fischer and the Championship held in Merano, Italy.
The Lyrics are by Tim Rice and the Music by Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, both formerly of ABBA. This production of CHESS is directed by Daphne Herbert with musical direction from David Whittle assisted by Amber Smith. Choreography is by Elizabeth Warner.
CHESS will be performed at The Bacon Theatre from July 8-11 at 7.30pm
For booking, contact the Bacon Theatre Box Office on 01242 258002 or alternatively book online: www.promenadeproductions.co.uk
- 1 Is this the cosiest pub in Essex?
- 2 5 of the best sustainable places to eat in Yorkshire
- 3 The Kent woman who turned her passion into a 1940s living museum
- 4 Amazing Devon events in the second half of 2022
- 5 Essex staycation: sleep in this quirky refurbished train carriage
- 6 Win a tropical trip for two to Mauritius
- 7 Enjoy this two and a half hour walk around the Miserden Estate
- 8 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 9 10 best Kent restaurants to visit in 2022
- 10 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire