“Hustle & Bustle” exhibition of work by Josephine Chisholm at The Minster Gallery
- Credit: Archant
12 June – 15 July 2014 - The Minster Gallery presents a collection of new paintings by Winchester based artist, Josephine Chisholm. This new collection depicts her breadth of artistic talent and imaginative use of colour and constructive draughtsmanship.
All are scenes of her extensive travels over the last two years: New York, Prague, Paris, London, Budapest and Vienna. These paintings represent very well Josephine’s unique style, capturing the theatre and personality of urban life, the colour and magic of people and parties, along with the hustle and bustle of bars and restaurants, making her a popular and collectable Winchester treasure.
These works are rich in their tapestry of light colour and business. They make us smile and we fall happily into each painting wishing we could be part of the moment.
Josephine would say it is the curiosity and life in the new places she visits that excites and drives her. Ultimately, the world is about people and their interaction with their surroundings and each other that makes it so stimulating and vibrant. “I live through my painting enjoying all I see”.
Josephine graduated from the Bristol College of Art and Design as a graphic designer in 1974. She then went on to study painting in Melbourne, Roehampton, Harrogate, West Dean College and Winchester.
Her influences come from the like of the Scottish colourists and their successors, Raoul Dufy, Paul Klee, Paul Cezanne, LS Lowry, the Impressionists and Post
Impressionists, along with David Hockney, Mary Fedden, Shirley Trevena, Bernard Vogel and Ken Done.
- 1 Win a stylish, hand-crafted rug by Best Wool worth up to £1,000
- 2 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 3 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 4 WIN flowers, chocolates and Prosecco for Valentine's Day
- 5 Win a tropical trip for two to Mauritius
- 6 19 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Nicolas Cage: From Hollywood to Somerset
- 9 Win a relaxing spa stay for two at The QHotels Collection
- 10 6 places to view snowdrops in Yorkshire
The Minster Gallery is situated in the heart of Winchester, Hampshire. The Gallery is a five minute walk from the train station and is easily found off the Square facing the main entrance of the Cathedral on Great Minster Street. It is open from 10 – 5 pm Monday to Saturday or otherwise by appointment.
For more information please contact: The Minster Gallery Limited, 3A Great Minster Street, Winchester, Hampshire SO23 9HA, United Kingdom.
Tel: +44 (0) 1962 877 601.