In memory of Jack
- Credit: submitted
A ball in memory of a little boy who was cared for by the Sepcial Care Baby Unit at St Michael’s Hospital has raised thousands of pounds for the Bristol facility.
Avery Estate Agent’s Grand Charity Ball, in memory of Jack Colin Tucker, is held every other year.
The evening is hosted by Jack’s mum Jane Tucker and her friend Sarah Tyson, a Director of Avery’s in Weston-super-Mare. ‘
All funds raised go to the hospitals charity Above & Beyond and is used to fund state-of-the -art equipment at the Special Care Baby Unit.
This year’s ball at the Batch Country Hotel in Lympsham, raised £16,000 to help buy a new ventilator for the unit.
This year is the 10th year of Jane and Sarah’s fundraising with more than £97,500 raised to date.
Jack was born prematurely in 2003 and spent 24 days in an incubator at the Special Care Baby Unit.
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 3 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 4 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 5 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 6 10 of the prettiest Villages in Dorset to visit
- 7 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 8 16 films that you might not know were made in Devon
- 9 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 10 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
Very sadly, Jack died, but despite Jane’s grief she and her close friend Sarah decided that they wanted to give something back to the unit in recognition of the excellent care that Jack had received and to help others in future. At the time they could not have known the scale of the funds they would go on to raise, with fantastic support from all those individuals and local businesses supporting and attending the Avery Grand Charity Balls.
Their fundraising totals more than £97,500 which has purchased 11 pieces of state-of-the-art equipment.