- Credit: Archant
Crowds line the seafront in Weston-super-Mare to see the Mayor go above and beyond call of duty
The Weston-super-Mare RNLI has always been grateful when the Town Mayor supports the fundraising Lifeboat Pull. This year the mayor went above and beyond the call of duty by completing the pull with the volunteers.
The event involves pulling the lifeboat along the Weston promenade - a strenuous five mile hike which this year was done in blistering heat.
Cllr David Hitchins and his wife Carol officially started the pull but then carried on leading the team - both bedecked with their heavy chains of office - tugging on the tow ropes and encouraging passers-by to donate into the collection buckets.
The 2103 lifeboat Pull raised more than £1,100, a larger sum than in previous years.
For more information about Weston-super-Mare lifeboat: westonrnli.org.uk
- 1 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 How the Goosnargh Gin distillery bounced back from adversity
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 7 7 of the best spas in Sussex
- 8 5 Yorkshire walking locations with great cafes
- 9 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms
- 10 A haunting Cotswolds memoir of growing up in a ménage à trois in the 1950s