Liverpool FC Former Players’ Association gala dinner, Hilton Hotel, Liverpool
- Credit: Archant
Photography by Diane Thompson
The Liverpool Former Players’ Association hosted a gala dinner at the Hilton Hotel in the city to honour players across the decades who have been a part of the Club’s enormous success story.
The occasion, sponsored by Carlsberg and Wongs Jewellers, was hosted by Claire Rourke and Matt Critchley from LFC TV and many of the former players were present to honour those receiving accolades.
Newly enlisted into the Liverpool Legends Hall of Fame, Jamie Carragher received a standing ovation as he picked up his award for ‘Player of the Decade 2000-2010’. While Brendan Rodgers, despite the event clashing with the League Managers Association Dinner in London said ‘He could think of no better place to be than honouring those who have made Liverpool great!’
Chairman of the Liverpool Former Players’ Association, Jan Molby said: ‘I am delighted that so many of the former players have joined us here tonight to celebrate the amazing achievements of some remarkable footballers spanning six decades.’
Lifelong Liverpool Fan, comedian John Bishop, presented former manager Roy Evans with a Lifetime Achievement Award, while Luis Suarez picked up the Player of the Season Award for 2013.
Margaret Aspinall, Chairman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, presented Ian Rush with the award for ‘Player of the 80’s, while Brendan Rodgers presented Phil Thompson with the gong for ‘Player of the 70’s’. Rounding off an emotional evening, Alan Kennedy honoured Ron Yeats as the Former Player’s Association choice for ‘Player of the 60’s’
- 1 5 of the best cycle cafés in Lancashire
- 2 A haunting Cotswolds memoir of growing up in a ménage à trois in the 1950s
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
- 6 See inside this £1.5 million modern property in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds
- 7 How the Goosnargh Gin distillery bounced back from adversity
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 7 scenic coastal walks to try in Somerset (with cafes on the way)
- 10 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex