Made in Somerset
- Credit: Archant
Heading to the beach this summer laden down with an assortment of rucksacks, carrier bags and a collection of slightly fusty beachbags? Fear not – Taunton-based designer Sarah Petherwick has come up with the answer
They say that necessity is the mother of invention – and that was certainly true for textile designer Sarah Petherick who would find herself on the beach every day during family holidays in Cornwall.
“When our third child came along I found I was carrying a huge amount of kit down to the beach every day and struggled to find bags big enough and strong enough to hold it, let alone keep the contents dry,” she remembers.
So the idea to make a BIG bag in sturdy water resistant fabric with thick, strong handles was born.
She invited some mums round to have a look at her designs and give feedback - and they all ordered at least one bag there and then.
Sarah bought herself an industrial sewing machine and started sewing and three years on you can find her growing range of infinitely useful and stylish textiles on notonthehighstreet.com and through her website
“It’s hard trying to start a business and manage a family and initially most of my sewing was done at night when the children were in bed,” she remembers. “Our youngest started school last September so now it’s less of a juggling act.
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 4 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 5 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 6 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 7 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 8 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 9 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 10 Al fresco dining in Cornwall: 9 of the best places to go
While the designs have remained the same – she has refreshed the fabrics – and this year has introduced vintage deckchair fabric with a water resistant canvas base. There are inside pockets which also feature a key clip on elastic to keep valuables safe.