Nevill Golf Club on the Sussex/Kent border
- Credit: Archant
Nevill Golf Club produces more than its fair share of talented golfers, says Clive Agran
Although just to the south of Tunbridge Wells, every inch of the pretty parkland course at the Nevill Club is in Sussex. Tight, tree-lined and testing, it is about to undergo some significant improvements just as the club prepares for next year’s centenary celebrations.
Following a visit from renowned, Sussex-based golf course architect Donald Steele, work has already begun thinning gorse, chopping unwanted trees and shifting some of the bunkers that presently only threaten less accomplished players. When the work is done, the gently undulating Nevill should be even prettier, marginally longer and probably a lot less intimidating for the average golfer. Meanwhile, the course record, (64 set by Holtye professional Gordon Murray in the 2002 Sussex Open), looks pretty secure.
A traditional members’ club, the Nevill is flourishing and has exceptionally strong ladies’ and juniors’ sections. Among the 800+ members are some genuine golfing heroes. Paul Way is the second youngest player to represent Europe in the Ryder Cup and has an outstanding record in the event of six wins, two losses and one half.
Jamie Spence was a two-time winner on the European Tour and is a former chairman of the European Tour’s tournament committee. Another Nevill member, Todd Adcock, captured the prestigious English Amateur Championship in 2008 and has recently joined the professional ranks.
Quite what it is about the club and the course that produces so many talented golfers is hard to say but what is undeniable is there’s no evidence that the production line is about to about to grind to a halt. The club’s youngsters are the reigning Sussex Junior Champions and are quietly confident of mounting a strong defence of their title. Five of the team are in the Sussex Under-14 squad and one, Thomas Harrison, is in the England squad.
- 1 The Norfolk Lights Express is back for spectacular winter train rides
- 2 6 of the best October walks in Cheshire
- 3 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 6 of the best October walks in Yorkshire
- 6 The best second-hand bookshops in Suffolk
- 7 7 autumn walks in Kent to delight the senses
- 8 The best walks in Dorset to see the autumn leaves
- 9 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 10 10 of the best beaches for swimming in Devon
Nevill Golf Club, Benhall Mill Road, Tunbridge Wells TN2 5JW