New play ‘Pitcairn’ comes to Malvern Theatres this November
- Credit: Robert Workman Photographer
A new play by award winning writer Richard Bean will be appearing at Malvern Theatres. Pitcairn runs from Tuesday 18th – Saturday November 22.
Pitcairn is a gripping island story, set immediately after the mutiny on The Bounty. With salty humour and growing horror it charts how one man’s dream of building a modern society of equals is blown dramatically off-course.
Pitcairn opens in 1789, when revolution is in the air. In France, a monarchy falls and in the South Pacific, Fletcher Christian overthrows his captain in the famous mutiny on The Bounty. With his fellow mutineers, and their Tahitian lovers and followers, Christian drops anchor at the fertile and remote island of Pitcairn. But his dreams of a new Eden are destroyed by the greed and suspicions of his fellow sailors, and by the Tahitians’ rigid adherence to their hierarchy and traditions.
Award-winning playwright Richard Bean, best known for the West End and Broadway hit One Man Two Guvnors, renews his collaboration with director Max Stafford-Clark for Pitcairn. Pitcairn is the second of three world premieres written by Richard Bean to open during 2014. He has won the Evening Standard Award for Best Play two times, and Critics Circle awards in both London and New York.
Max Stafford-Clark is a central figure in Britain’s canon of contemporary drama, having commissioned and directed plays from such writers as Caryl Churchill, Mark Ravenhill, David Hare, Timberlake Wertenbaker, Sue Townsend, Sebastian Barry and many more. He is the founder and director of touring company Out of Joint.
Pitcairn at Malvern Theatres
Tuesday November 18 – Saturday November 22
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 Win a Mini-Moon experience for two at The Feathered Nest in the Cotswolds
- 5 7 great walks near Kirkby Lonsdale
- 6 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 7 5 great walks in and around Kendal
- 8 6 great walks near Skipton
- 9 8 great family walks in the North West
- 10 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
Wednesday & Saturday Matinees: 2:30pm
£10.64-£25.20 (Under 26s £8.96)
To book tickets, call: 01684 892277