North Devon makes it to the top
- Credit: SUB
North Devon has made it onto a recent polled list by watersports enthusiasts who were asked to suggest their dream kayak locations for an article on kayaking website Sitons.com
In a three-part feature, the series covered the top ten rivers, regions and UK locations, with Devon making the cut.
With its wealth of kayaking options it is no wonder the scenic beauty of North Devon captured people’s imaginations.
For kayak surfers:
Saunton Sands is a fabulous location for kayakers who are searching for a bit of wave action.
A vast expanse of glorious beach, flanked by impressive sand dunes, Saunton is the ideal place to head to for some wave sliding action.
The waves here are slightly softer than at other spots which makes Saunton a good place for learning the basics – particularly through the summer months when swells are smaller.
- 1 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 How the Goosnargh Gin distillery bounced back from adversity
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 7 7 of the best spas in Sussex
- 8 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms
- 9 5 Yorkshire walking locations with great cafes
- 10 A haunting Cotswolds memoir of growing up in a ménage à trois in the 1950s
During winter, Atlantic storms drive bigger waves onto the beach, which can challenge even the most experienced of paddlers.
For touring paddlers:
Paddling around the sea cliffs, coves, nooks and crannies of the Clovelly/Hartland area of North Devon is pure paddling indulgence with its amazing coastal vistas.
Stop off at Clovelly for a bite to eat at the harbour side Red Lion Hotel before checking out the boulder reef break swell of Bucks Mills – not for inexperienced paddlers!
A must for all kayakers:
For those kayakers wanting to get wet in a river then heading to South Devon and the River Dart will no doubt scratch this itch.
Wherever you choose to head in Devon you’ll be rewarded. And don’t forget to top off your trip with a cream tea and/or a pint of cider.
For more information and the full top 10 list of UK paddling spots, visit sitons.com/articles/dream-kayak-locations-uk/