Preserved Saxon city wall to be unveiled
- Credit: Archant
Oxford Preservation Trust will unveil a piece of city history at Oxford Castle on Tuesday, May 14, when the surviving foundations of Oxford’s Saxon town wall – a scheduled ancient monument – will be revealed following a series of improvements to the historic remains.
Images have been added to accompany the wall, which will provide an insight into life in the Saxon town of Oxnaforda and its importance in the shaping of Oxford today. Interpretation boards have also been put in place to inform visitors of the role the Saxon wall would have played in defending the town, outlining its rediscovery in the 21st century following almost 1,000 years of burial beneath Oxford Castle.
Debbie Dance, Oxford Preservation Trust Director says, “This wall is 1,000 years old and discovering it reminds us that the Castle which came after is at the very heart of the history of Oxford. Finding history beneath our feet is always fascinating and we hope everyone will want to find out more and enjoy the images of life in Saxon times. We are hugely grateful to our partners Oxfordshire County Council and the Trevor Osborne Property Group who helped to make this happen.”
Visitors are free to explore the Saxon wall in Oxford Castle Quarter, which is located just behind The Big Bang Restaurant.
There will be a talk following the official unveiling on May 14 as well as refreshments provided by The Big Bang restaurant. Places are still available for the event, which cost £12 for non-members of Oxford Preservation Trust and £8 for members. Please call 01865 242918 or book online at http://www.oxfordpreservation.org.uk/news/eventsBook.php
To learn more about the city’s hidden history, Oxford Castle Unlocked is situated a short stroll away. Guided tours run daily and reveal tales of murder, betrayal, romance and execution spanning the 1,000 years of Oxford’s past.
For more information about the Saxon wall, visit www.oxfordpreservation.org.uk
- 1 Win a stylish, hand-crafted rug by Best Wool worth up to £1,000
- 2 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 3 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 4 Win a tropical trip for two to Mauritius
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 19 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 7 WIN flowers, chocolates and Prosecco for Valentine's Day
- 8 Win a relaxing spa stay for two at The QHotels Collection
- 9 7 of the best spas in Sussex
- 10 Things you may not know about Sarah Beeny's New Life In The Country
For more details about Oxford Castle Unlocked, see www.oxfordcastleunlocked.co.uk or call 01865 260 666.