Richard and Judy raise funds for the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital
- Credit: Archant
Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan returned to their former home city when they hosted a glittering event at the Hilton Hotel in aid of the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.
The popular TV couple who lived in the Manchester suburb of Didsbury for many years, were greeted warmly by over 300 guests who attended the Discovery Ball at the chic city centre venue on Deansgate.
Soap stars were among the attendees who enjoyed thrilling entertainment from Elbow, Simply Red’s Mick Hucknall and a stand-up session by comedian Dave Spikey.
Around £130,900 was raised during the evening and this money will contribute towards the expansion of new premises for the hospital’s pioneering clinical research facility.
A Hublot wristwatch donated by Sir Alex Ferguson from his own personal collection raised almost £12,000 in an auction hosted by Key 103 DJ Mike Toolan and the BBC Sport presenter Hugh Ferris.
Maurice Watkins CBE, chairman of the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital charity, said:‘The Discovery Ball was an even greater success than we hoped it would be. Once again, we are indebted to our supporters for their generosity.’
- 1 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 Norfolk's beautiful Blue Flag beaches 2021
- 9 13 of the best places to get coffee in Hampshire
- 10 One Suffolk beach given Blue Flag status for 2021