Richard and Judy raise funds for the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital
- Credit: Archant
Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan returned to their former home city when they hosted a glittering event at the Hilton Hotel in aid of the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.
The popular TV couple who lived in the Manchester suburb of Didsbury for many years, were greeted warmly by over 300 guests who attended the Discovery Ball at the chic city centre venue on Deansgate.
Soap stars were among the attendees who enjoyed thrilling entertainment from Elbow, Simply Red’s Mick Hucknall and a stand-up session by comedian Dave Spikey.
Around £130,900 was raised during the evening and this money will contribute towards the expansion of new premises for the hospital’s pioneering clinical research facility.
A Hublot wristwatch donated by Sir Alex Ferguson from his own personal collection raised almost £12,000 in an auction hosted by Key 103 DJ Mike Toolan and the BBC Sport presenter Hugh Ferris.
Maurice Watkins CBE, chairman of the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital charity, said:‘The Discovery Ball was an even greater success than we hoped it would be. Once again, we are indebted to our supporters for their generosity.’
- 1 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Somerset this Halloween
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 9 of the best places for coffee across Cornwall
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 At home in the Cotswolds with Simon McCoy
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 23 places to find the best views in Devon
- 8 Lancashire and the Lake District dominate the 2021 National Food Awards top 100 listings
- 9 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 10 Theatre review: Bat Out of Hell The Musical