The Fancy Dress Ball raises funds for Maggie’s Centre
- Credit: Archant
Over £17,000 was raised at a glorious costume ball in Manchester in aid of a local cancer support charity.
Partygoers at The Lowry Hotel dressed in period costume for the first of what is hoped will become a glamorous annual fixture in the social calendar. The theme was inspired by an Arthur Perigal painting ‘The Fancy Dress Ball’, which depicted an event in 1828 at the Assembly Rooms on Mosley Street in the city centre.
After a drinks reception and gourmet dinner, bewigged dandies and sharp-suited soldiers took to the dance floor and boogied the night away with bejewelled Regency and Edwardian ladies and even 1920s flapper girls.
Part of the cash raised came from a lively auction and raffle. Prizes snappped up included a Manchester United shirt, signed by the current first team, which raised £675. A Rourke Van Dal limited edition David Bowie portrait donated by Attitude Gallery in Congleton, raised £650.
All the money raised is for Maggie’s Centre, which opened last year in the grounds of The Christie. The centre, which gives emotional, practical and social support to cancer patients and their families, receives no government funding or resources.
The Royal Exchange Theatre and Cheshire Life were among several key supporters of the occasion.
Maggie’s board members Janine Watson and Carolyn Mellor, were thrilled by the success of the occasion. They said: ‘We’re delighted that Maggie’s can benefit from this stunning extravaganza. Thanks to everyone at The Lowry Hotel and to everyone who supported the gala ball.
- 1 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 2 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 3 Win a £1000 rug from Alternative Flooring
- 4 WIN £250 worth of Christmas food and drink
- 5 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
- 6 Gorgeous Kent pubs with open fires
- 7 Win a tour of Down Farm, home of Tom George Racing and £250 worth of Monuskin Products
- 8 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 9 12 of the best Christmas events in Surrey
- 10 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
‘It was great to see everyone in the most beautiful costumes. Congratulations to all involved, especially the Royal Exchange Theatre’s costume hire. Our guests had a wonderful evening and were really happy to have been involved in such a unique, glamorous event. Thanks to all who supported it so generously.’