By George – inspired cooking at Cley.
- Credit: Archant
Tyrone Tugwell is just 24 but has already worked with two of Norfolk’s top chefs and is now a head chef himself, at The George Hotel in Cley.
What has been the highlight of your career so far?
I have been lucky enough to work alongside Galton Blackiston and Chris Coubrough, but also gaining my position as head chef at The George.
What do you enjoy most about working at The George?
I have free reign over what goes on the menu which gives me enthusiasm when working and trying new ideas. Our suppliers are brilliant and get us exactly what we need.
What would you say is special about your menu?
Everything is fresh and as local as we can source it. We are always trying to create new and exciting dishes and we love making our own bread - there are so many ingredient options.
- 1 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 2 Win £500 of English wine from Lyme Bay Winery
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 9 lovely beaches in Cornwall that allow dogs all-year-round
- 5 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 6 Win a luxury ladies watch worth £199
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 Beautiful places to go wild swimming in Suffolk
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
What is your favourite local ingredient?
Morston mussels and samphire straight off the marshes.
Are there any foods you can’t stand?
Despite working on the coast, so close to the sea, I’m not a fish lover.
What is your favourite food-related memory?
When I was 17 I ate at Morston Hall and this showed me what real food was.
What is the strangest thing you have eaten?
It’s a tie between ox tongue and a pig’s head terrine.
Have you had any cooking disasters?
Not me personally, but I have witnessed another chef trying to burn the top of a pannacotta thinking it was a creme brulee!
What would your last supper consist of?
A classy Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet.
Do you cook for friends and family too?
As and when the opportunity presents itself - but as we get busier at the George I have less and less time at home.
The George Hotel, The High Street, Cley, NR25 7RN; 01263 740652;