Restaurant review - Chez Jules, Chester
- Credit: not Archant
Digest this mini-review in 60 seconds
Remember that lovely bistro you came across in a quaint street on your holiday in France? Sit at a table in Chez Jules and you’ll be transported right back there.
It feels truly French, but because we’re all so sophisticated these days, the Gallic dishes feel happily familiar.
Expect moules mariniere (£5.50), confit pork belly with potato puree and red wine jus(£11.95), charcuterie platter(£5.95 or £9.95), coq au vin (£10.95)...you get the picture.
I wholeheartedly recommend the starter of roquefort, walnut, watercress and apple salad with honey drressing (£5.25) and grilled cod loin with pea puree, pea shoots and lemon dressing (£13.95). My friend raved about her slow braised beef shin with potato puree and beef jus (£12.95) and a delightful chocolate delice (£4.50).
- 1 How to find out about your seafearing Dorset ancestors
- 2 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 3 Win a unique candles and country house prize
- 4 Why you should visit RSPB Leighton Moss nature reserve
- 5 Win a tropical trip for two to Mauritius
- 6 3 pretty walks with farmer's markets in Derbyshire
- 7 WIN flowers, chocolates and Prosecco for Valentine's Day
- 8 This Devon walk takes in two pretty villages
- 9 Win a relaxing spa stay for two at The QHotels Collection
- 10 See inside this 6-bedroom family home in Charlton Kings on the market for £1.59 million
The wine list is excellent - shame we were driving!
DECOR AND AMBIENCE
Francophiles will love it. Once inside you’ll feel like you’re back in Paris, or Toulouse or Normandy. Expect wooden tables, soft lighting and plenty of Gallic atmosphere. You can even hire it for your wedding now.
Efficient, friendly young staff and there’s a bit of French lingo from one or two.
Two of us dined a la carte and three courses with coffee, plus a glass of wine each, came to £69. but various deals are available at certain times making it quite remarkable value: two courses £11.95 or three for £14.95 so do check their website.
Chez Jules, 71 Northgate Street, Chester, CH1 2HQ. Tel: 01244 400014 www.chezjules.com