Somerset Life Restaurant & Pub Guide 2008
Dine out in Style<br/>Gastro pubs, fine dining restaurants, Michelin-starred hotel restaurants, and good, simple, honest-to-goodness traditional pubs serving up hearty meals all have one thing in common... the produce....
Dine out in Style
Gastro pubs, fine dining restaurants, Michelin-starred hotel restaurants, and good, simple, honest-to-goodness traditional pubs serving up hearty meals all have one thing in common... the produce. If you want good food you need good produce, and that is what Somerset is famous for. It is renowned as the country's store cupboard, and we have the good fortune to be living right on the doorstep of all this bounty. We are guilty of forgetting that sometimes, but you can hardly set foot outside your door without coming across some establishment serving up the finest of what the county can offer. And that doesn't always mean traditional English food nowadays. In fact, what is traditional English food? The food culture in Britain has changed beyond recognition over the past few years and you could eat meals from as many different countries seven days a week if you so chose.
It isn't only the chefs who are passionate about food nowadays. There is an increasing confidence amongst those who frequent restaurants about the whole dining experience, which is not so much about fulfilling a basic need as an entertainment in itself. We go to a restaurant for a good night out, good food, good wine, good conversation and pleasant company. What more can anyone ask? We have celebrity chefs aplenty in this county of ours but, frankly, in our view, every chef who delivers a memorable meal deserves celebrity status and every establishment that provides good food should be lauded to the skies.
Here are just a few of the excellent establishments in the county. Have a great time trying them out.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 Find your inner wild in the woods
- 7 A guide to moving to Somerset
- 8 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 9 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 10 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms