Recipe: Vegan sweet potato and coconut soup with sweet potato chips
- Credit: Archant
Get inspired for World Vegan Month (November 1-30) with this deliciously warming, moreish spiced soup, beautifully garnished with crisp sweet potato chips and freshly grated coconut
This recipe couldn't be easier to make thanks to the new Microplane® Professional Peeler. Unlike traditional peelers, the Professional Peeler is slightly heavier and the blades can be moved back and forth, with little pressure, in one smooth, uninterrupted movement which makes light work of peeling the sweet potatoes. To prepare the ginger and the coconut garnish, reach for the signature photo-etched, ultra-sharp blades, or teeth, of the Fine and Coarse graters from the Microplane® Master Series which effortlessly and precisely grate both without ripping or tearing.
Serves: 4 people
- 1 onion
- 2cm ginger
- Vegetable oil
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 1 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 2 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 3 Win a holiday for two on the Isles of Scilly
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 16 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 6 6 of the best outdoor events in Cheshire this spring
- 7 Sussex pubs with beer gardens to visit this summer
- 8 Two Cornwall fish and chip shops named country's best
- 9 10 pubs with pretty beer gardens in Canterbury
- 10 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 can of coconut milk (400ml)
- ¼ - 1tsp curry spice, to taste
- Choose the smallest sweet potato to use for the chips
- 1 piece of coconut, approx. 5cm
1. Peel the onion and ginger and then finely chop the onion and grate the ginger using the Microplane® Master Series Fine Grater.
2. Fry both together in 1 tsp oil.
3. Peel the sweet potatoes (put the smallest aside to be used later for the chips) with the Microplane® Professional Peeler and then roughly chop.
4. Add the sweet potatoes to the onions and ginger and fry briefly.
5. Add the vegetable stock and cook softly for about 15-20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, use the Peeler to create slices from the remaining small sweet potato.
7. In a separate pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil and brown the sweet potato slices, put on a piece of kitchen paper and lightly salt.
8. Puree the soft sweet potato soup in the food processor until smooth and then pour it back into the pot. Stir in the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Season with salt, pepper and cumin.
9. Add the curry spice to taste.
10. Serve the soup in a bowl, covered with the chips and grate fresh coconut on top using the Microplane® Master Series Coarse Grater.
Microplane products are available from hartsofstur.com and independent cookshops nationwide.