Smoked chicken salad with chorizo crisps and harissa mayonnaise
- Credit: Archant
This delicious summer salad serves 4 to 6 people and is perfect on a sunny evening.
4 smoked chicken breasts, thinly sliced at an angle
½ spicy chorizo, skinned and thinly sliced
4 hard-boiled eggs
A double handful of cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
½ a cucumber, deseeded and diced
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 3 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 4 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 5 15 festivals and shows happening this summer in Devon
- 6 6 great walks near Ramsbottom
- 7 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 7 great walks in Wensleydale
- 10 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views
Harissa mayonnaise (see recipe)
Oil and lemon juice to dress the leaves
For the harissa mayonnaise:
1 egg yolk
150ml light olive oil
2 tspn lemon juice
1 fat clove of garlic
1 tspn Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
1 tspn boiling water
Harissa to taste
In a large bowl, crush the garlic with a pinch of sea salt until you have a paste. Add half the lemon juice, the mustard, egg yolk and a grind of black pepper and stir to blend. Add the oil a drips at a time, whisking well. When it begins to thicken, pour in the oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking all the time. You should have a think emulsion but if it splits put another egg yolk in a new bowl and add the first mix a drip at a time as before.
Add the remaining lemon juice and the hot water to thin it a little. Stir in a teaspoon or two of harissa, to taste. Cover and set aside in the fridge.
Boil the eggs for 7-8 minutes then run cold water over them to cool. Peel and set aside. Skin the chorizo, slice it thinly, then dry-fry it in a hot pan for a minute or two each side until crisp but not burned. Blot on kitchen paper and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Toss the salad leaves with a teaspoon or two of olive oil and a little lemon juice to lightly coat the leaves. Arrange them on a plate,, lay the sliced chicken over the top and add the diced cucumber, tomatoes and the eggs cut into quarters. Drizzle over some of the harissa mayo and scatter with the chorizo crisps and a few herb leaves if you have them.