The Little Yorkshire Candle Company expands its efforts to inspire wellbeing across the region – and beyond
- Credit: Archant
The Little Yorkshire Candle Company is a company on a mission. Since launching her online store in 2017 and opening her first shop in York at the end of 2019, owner Alex Hall has been seeking new ways to bring a touch of comfort and calm to people’s lives
Delivery will soon be available beyond the UK into Europe, and a new-look website is launching later in May. The line of reed diffusers has just expanded to include two extra scents, and Alex is busy in her studio developing new fragrances for a summer range of candles inspired by herb gardens.
She has been innovating during lockdown by offering a limited number of ‘Feel Good’ boxes every weekend, with a specially curated selection of treats from Yorkshire companies nestled in a gift box alongside one of her candles.
And, once ‘normal’ life resumes, Alex will be restarting the craft workshops she was hosting in her whimsical shop in one of York’s oldest buildings.
She says: “More than ever people need ways to stay calm, centred and take care of their mental wellbeing. It might seem like a small way to start, but even just taking the time to light a candle, switch off your phone, and read, nap or relax whilst your room fills with therapeutic scent can be very soothing.
“As a society we haven’t given ourselves permission to unplug fully from the pressures of the world. We’re seeing the impact of that with increasing numbers of people struggling with stress or mental health issues, and we can’t go on the way we are.
“It’s my passion to help people bring a little more peace and wellbeing into their lives – one candle at a time.”
TLYCC has always been a company that cares.
- 1 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 2 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 3 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 4 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 5 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 6 Yorkshire Wolds walk - Thixendale to Hanging Grimston
- 7 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 8 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 9 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 A positive outlook for the housing market for 2021
Its hand-poured botanical candles are designed with the health of Alex’s customers and the planet in mind.
High-quality essential oils are blended with pure plant extracts and natural wax, with each of the eight scents designed to bring a specific emotional benefit.
- SLEEP, the best-selling fragrance, is a soothing blend of lavender, chamomile and lavandin to promote more restorative rest and relaxation.
- CREATE, another customer favourite, blends zingy citrus with bergamot and peppermint to inspire focus, creativity and energy.
- BLISS will transport you to Springtime in Yorkshire with ylang ylang, mandarin, lemon and jasmine oil reminding you of wildflowers and warm floral breezes.
All TLYCC products are free from synthetic ingredients and offer a healthier alternative to paraffin-wax candles that can fill your home with the same toxins found in diesel fumes.
In fact, Alex was inspired to start The Little Yorkshire Candle Company because one of her sons had asthma and whilst she adored scented candles, she didn’t want to exacerbate his condition with chemical products.
Her childhood love of making ‘perfume’ from plants and petals was put to good use, and after a career working with luxury brands for Harrods she switched London for her native Yorkshire and put her alchemist’s apron back on.
Now The Little Yorkshire Candle Company is renowned for its exquisite scents, gorgeous packaging and caring ethos, and Alex’s growing Instagram following of over 10,000 people is testament to people’s love for her products.
As well as offering her products to customers, she also works with companies to design bespoke fragrances for their own signature branded candles – past clients include a designer restaurant and a theatre company.
“Who would have thought that my days of getting mucky in the garden making petal perfume would end up with me creating my own candles brand?” she muses.
“I’ve learnt a lot more about scent blending since then, but one thing hasn’t changed – my stained fingertips!”
Visit The Little Yorkshire Candle Company’s online store at: www.thelittleyorkshirecandlecompany.co.uk
Visit the shop in York: 72 Goodramgate, York, YO1 7LF