7 reasons why you should visit Oldham
- Credit: Archant
Oldham’s location makes it ideal for a daytrip from Manchester, Lancashire and West Yorkshire
Take in the scenery The view from the top of Tandle Hill Park, Royton. Walk up through the woodland to the war memorial and, on a good day, enjoy views to Jodrell Bank and even the Welsh mountains.
Grab a coffee Java Bar Espresso, High Street, Uppermill. Who’d have thought that al fresco cafe culture would ever be a thing in chilly Saddleworth?
Lunchtime venues The White Hart, 51 Stockport Road, Lydgate. Hilltop pub is home to a brasserie and restaurant, both serving superior modern British fare. Lancashire Life Restaurant of the Year in 2005. La Via, Railway Road, Hollinwood. Well-regarded tapas restaurant close to the Hollinwood Metrolink station. Tapas by tram! The Horton Arms, Streetbridge, Chadderton. Recently-facelifted traditional inn in a semi-rural setting serves hearty, home-cooked proper pub grub. Ocean Treasure, Greenside Way, Middleton. Immense Chinese restaurant with real traditional character despite an unpromising location on an industrial estate across the road from the former British Aerospace factory in Chadderton.
Stop off for a drink The Royal Oak, 178 Union Street, Oldham, mercifully escaped ‘improvement’ and retains a glorious 1920s wood and glass servery. ‘An historic pub interior of national importance’, says CAMRA.
Take a Walk A circuit of Dove Stone reservoir, just off the A635 road from Greenfield to Holmfirth, puts you amid scenery reminiscent of Switzerland. Open all year round, with pay and display car park and public toilets.
Shopping Three hours free car parking every Saturday and Sunday in all council-owned car parks in Oldham town centre. For details visit www.oldham.gov.uk
Take in some Art and Culture There are always interesting exhibitions going on at Gallery Oldham on Greaves Street, they also have Art and Craft Workshops for Adults and a monthly Small Cinema event. Open Monday to Saturday 10am to 5pm. www.galleryoldham.org.uk
- 1 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 2 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 3 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 4 Win a diamond ring worth £1,000
- 5 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 6 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 7 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 8 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 9 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 Win a watercolour painting of Gosfield by artist James Merriott