Nissan GT-R car review
Andy Enright reviews the new Nissan GT-R
The Nissan GT-R is a car that appears to bend the laws of physics to its own will, defying conventional measures of power to weight and generating traction where none apparently exists.
It's the genius in its chassis engineering that has had other manufacturers scratching their heads and winding up power outputs to obscene levels in an attempt to keep pace. The latest GT-R will have them reaching for their drawing boards again.
Somewhat remarkably, the car's creator noted in 2007 that as jaw-dropping as that car was, the real deal would be three years away but it's here now and, well, it doesn't look much different. Underneath, however, the suspension has been wholly overhauled, the engine power goes up to 523bhp, torque takes a great hike and virtually every detail has been fettled and honed.
The interior quality has improved considerably and there's now a broader range of GT-R variants to choose from.
There will be those who decry the Nissan as a one-trick pony, a vehicle that can shine on a lap of the N�rburgring but which possesses an otherwise narrow band of talent.
The latest GT-R broadens its appeal somewhat – albeit at a price – but those who doubt the Nissan are usually those who have never driven one. The GT-R is a complex, capable and charismatic car that just got a whole lot better.
- 1 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 2 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 3 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 4 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 5 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 6 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 7 Yorkshire Wolds walk - Thixendale to Hanging Grimston
- 8 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 9 Steph McGovern on her new lunchtime show, Steph’s Packed Lunch
- 10 18 of the best lockdown takeaways across Yorkshire
More power to it.
FACTS AT A GLANCE
CAR: Nissan GT-R
PRICES: from �69,950 – on the road
CO2 EMISSIONS: 279g/km
PERFORMANCE: 0-62mph 3.5s / top speed 197mph
FUEL CONSUMPTION: (combined) 23.5mpg
STANDARD SAFETY FEATURES: ESP, ABS, twin front and side airbags
WILL IT FIT IN YOUR GARAGE? length/width/height mm 4670/1895/1370