Win an original watercolour painting of Burnham-on-Crouch in Essex
- Credit: James Merriott
Artist James Merriott takes us on a watercolour journey to the unspoilt riverside town of Burnham-on-Crouch in Essex, and you can enter our competition to win one of his original watercolour paintings
At the beginning of another new year, my optimism is as high as ever in spite of the passing years, which are causing me only to stumble about with my arthritic hands letting me do little more than paint. My optimism remains high because I can still hold a brush or pen, and perhaps more than that, because I still have my three guardian angels – my wife, my son and daughter – each taking care of me.
There could be no better place to start my 2022 features than Burnham. Visiting with my family, we found the tide as high as my spirits and with the white sails of the yachts performing a delightful scene as they moved about the water.
With the magnificence of the architecture along the promenade and High Street, it all added up to me being spoilt for choice with subject matter. The wonderful day photographing the beauty was matched with my time painting them in my home studio.
My final word is one of gratitude. We visited in November with poppies being worn for Remembrance Sunday. Certainly my biggest reason for high optimism is that the sacrifice made by those that were lost gave me not only my freedom to paint but to share it with my family.
THE CLOCK TOWER
Conspicuous at the roadside, the beautiful tower perhaps the best-known and much-loved part of the town.
It’s wonderful to walk along the promenade between the magnificent architecture and the captivating River Crouch.
- 1 Kelvin Fletcher's Big Farming Adventure
- 2 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 3 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 Things you may not know about Sarah Beeny's New Life In The Country
- 6 5 of the best places to see snowdrops in Somerset
- 7 Win a tropical trip for two to Mauritius
- 8 Maxine Peake discusses her latest roles in Hillsborough drama Anne and Rules of the Game
- 9 5 Romantic walks in Surrey for Valentine's Day
- 10 A walk along the shores of beautiful Alton Water
WHITE SAILS AT HIGH TIDE
A thrill to see and a joy to paint, with much of the sails being unpainted white paper.
YE OLDE WHITE HARTE HOTEL
A challenging watercolour to paint with black pen and gouache white added to the pure watercolour.
SHORE HOUSE AND THE ANCHOR INN
Another of Burnham’s super painting views for the artist. Two buildings complementing each other beautifully.
HIGH STREET COTTAGES
Stunningly beautiful with the rich colours I love to use.
WIN 'WHITE SAILS AT HIGH TIDE'