Niche Dorset prop hire business - Gemma Taylor at ‘Prop Dead Gorgeous’
- Credit: Archant
It’s not every day you meet a girl in wellies sitting beneath a fake tree, alongside a giant cupcake, a fibreglass poodle, a four-foot high toy soldier and a Dalek.
Meet Gemma Taylor, the head of a niche Dorset prop hire business – Prop Dead Gorgeous. Specialising in corporate parties, one-off events and photo-shoots, there is not a theme that Gemma can’t create.
With her three Buckland Newton warehouses bursting to capacity and a new showroom (open by appointment), this is without doubt, a prop lover’s paradise.
There’s a frozen ice palace, life-like dinosaurs, even a hippo waiter. Gemma, 24, has worked with the likes of BAFTA, Harrods and even Number 10.
“We can bring a bit of fun and some excitement,” she says. “It could be a wedding, party or corporate dinner. When you walk into an event we’ve dressed you’re instantly transported into another world.”
Gemma, a Bournemouth University graduate, joined Crafty Arty World, the umbrella group, three years ago. But the award-winning Prop Dead Gorgeous is very much her project.
“My favourite is the hippo butler holding a drinks tray, but we can dress pretty much any kind of theme. We can recreate Crufts, Grease (Greece, too presumably) and, of course, Frozen.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 5 8 great family walks in the North West
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 8 10 of the prettiest Villages in Dorset to visit
- 9 Win Castle Howard Prom Tickets & a VIP Hamper
- 10 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
“We source from all over the country but we also have a team of scenic builders. A lot of our props are bespoke made. If you can imagine it, we can bring it to life.”
Find out more at propdeadgorgeous.com.
• 7 inspirational Dorset business women share their story - Rebecca Perl meets some inspirational Dorset business women and discovers how they manage their work life balance, and the challenges they have had to overcome.