Oscar nominated director to make film about the Hastings International Piano Concerto Competition
- Credit: Archant
Oscar nominated director Mike Figgis (Leaving Las Vegas, The Browning Version, Time Code) has been commissioned to make a film about the Hastings International Piano Concerto Competition.
Mike will be working with a film crew for ten days at the White Rock Theatre and locations in and around Hastings from this Saturday 28 February. He will also be setting up a dedicated YouTube Channel for daily streaming of the competition stages and other related events.
As an accomplished jazz musician and composer himself, the British director is keen to explore the issues surrounding the lives of young concert pianists working to establish a career, and equally what can be done to encourage younger audiences to experience classical music.
“This is a very exciting development for the competition and will help us continue to build new audiences and encourage greater participation in what is fast becoming one of the premier classical piano competitions in Europe” said a spokesman for the competition.
Over thirty competitors from countries as far afield as Australia and Kazakstan will be descending on Hastings from Friday. Up for grabs is £15,000 in prize money and a chance to play a concerto live with the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra on stage at the White Rock Theatre at the final on 7 March.
This year’s competition stages run all day every day through the weekend allowing visitors the chance to hear world class young concert pianists perform concerto’s with an accompanist for as little as £5 a ticket with under 16’s entering free accompanied by an adult. “We have deliberately kept our prices low to encourage new and broader audiences” said competition Administrator Hannah Deeble. “Our Priory Meadow recitals which begin at the town shopping centre this Friday are another example of us trying to give more people a chance to hear classical piano music.” Hastings International Piano Concerto Competition runs from 28 February - 7 March.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 3 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 4 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 5 Are you ready for the greatest show this summer?
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 9 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms
- 10 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
• Hastings International Piano Concerto Competition 2015 - schedule, tickets and more information - The Hastings International Piano Concerto Competition, fast becoming an important event in the cultural calendar, returns to the White Rock Theatre at the end of next month for eight music-filled days.
• Hastings becoming a haven for a generation of artists - Hastings is becoming a haven for a new generation of artists, designers and craftspeople attracted by its dazzling natural light and affordable property.