Sir Steve Redgrave inspires Cheshire school children at Pryors Hayes Golf Club
- Credit: Jason Howard Photography
Five time British Olympic Rowing Legend, Sir Steve Redgrave, was guest of honour at an informative and inspirational day at Pryors Hayes Golf Club near Chester recently
More than 100 business and school leaders from Cheshire West and Chester (CWAC) attended the day to hear the five time gold medallist explain how plans for the proposed new Chester Student Village - which will become home to The Redgrave Institute - will deliver sporting and economic benefits for the community and young people who choose Chester for their studies.
Also present on the day were 100 school children from 10 different schools accompanied by their teachers and head-teachers. Mentored by experienced coaches, the children were taking part in an exciting new golf-tuition and equipment concept - SNAG (Starting New At Golf) - which is designed to make the sport more accessible to many more young people.
Encouraging greater participation in sport and enabling access to like-minded sports clubs and facilities are central to the philosophy of The Redgrave Institute - Sir Steve has already been directly involved in inspiring more sports and activities in Cheshire Schools. His team are keen to show how, with the right programmes and partnerships, young people can participate in more sports and enjoy the clear benefit to their health and wellbeing.
Sir Steve gave the children a stirring insight into his own spectacular sporting achievements. From a keen interest in other sports, athletics and football, his life took a turn towards sporting legend when his English teacher urged him to join the rowing team because of his large hands and large feet!
After a day learning golf through SNAG, the children were excited to get to shake hands with Sir Steve, picking up a signed certificate, a fantastic SNAG golf goody bag and a ‘team’ photo which they will now be able cherish for the rest of their lives.
Photography by Jason Howard Photography www.jasonhowardphotography.co.uk
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 3 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 4 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 5 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 6 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 7 Win a watercolour painting of Wat Tyler Country Park by artist James Merriott
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 23 places to find the best views in Devon
- 10 Are you ready for the greatest show this summer?