How to find the best building contractor for your home renovation
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Embarking on a home renovation project can be a daunting task which is why choosing the right contractor is crucial.
Janet Cottam from Bryan Lee Building Contractors in Blackburn shares her advice to help you choose the best person for the job.
Q: How do I begin a search for a building contractor - what questions should I be asking?
A: One of the most effective ways to find a contractor is to ask for recommendations from friends and family. Ask them how well they got on with their contractor – communication is key to ensuring the project runs smoothly.
Look at reviews on their website and browse projects they’ve previously worked on to tell if they’re the best builder for the job.
It’s also worth researching how long they’ve been trading – a building contractor with the right resources and experience can ensure the job is done right.
Q: Should I meet with a building contractor first to discuss my project?
- 1 4 fab places to dine in Devon
- 2 Waterfalls, Weirs and Cascades of the Peak District
- 3 Devon coast to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 4 Win a champagne and jewellery shopping day in Harrogate worth £500
- 5 These are the Cornwall beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 6 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 7 10 wonderful walks around the Cotswolds
- 8 Top celebrity craft makers head for Devon festival
- 9 Win a short break at Wrea Head Hall on the edge of the North York Moors
- 10 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: 13 events to celebrate in Cornwall
A: Absolutely. It’s important your contractor understands every aspect of the project and what your needs are. You can discuss your budget and timescales. They can recommend other things you’ll need to consider – such as if you’ve liaised with your neighbours to inform them of any potential disruption.
We offer a free, no-obligation quote to help clients make an informed decision and arrange a consultation with them to discuss the project. This ensures we understand what your expectations are, agree project timings and scope and establish a good working relationship.
Q: What kind of home renovation projects have you worked on previously?
A: Anything from small repairs to major refurbishments and new house builds. Most people are looking to adapt their existing home to better suit their lifestyle. We can suggest ways to extend your property to give you the added space you need for your growing family, or to accommodate working from home.
We recently celebrated our 40th anniversary - we’ve been trading in the local area since 1980 and year on year we’ve seen our reputation for high-quality work and customer service grow.
Q: How can I get in touch?
Our slogan is ‘a family business, built on strong foundations.’ Every project we work on is personal - we tailor our service to suit your needs and take great pride and care in every job that we undertake.
Visit bryanleebuilders.co.uk for more information.
Call 01254 679881 to speak to a member of the team.