Poole-based newborn photographer Karen Wiltshire
- Credit: Archant
Newborn photography is a specialist genre in which a specially trained photographer works with babies under two weeks to capture those early days. Helen Stiles finds out more
As the creative director of CobWebKnits, Su Cowell uses lots of gorgeous images of newborns on her website. “There is a real art to photographing newborns,” says Su, whose delightful hats are modelled by various snoozing babies. “Your photographer will need to have specialist experience of working with such a precious subject.”
One of Su’s favourite photographers is the award-winning Poole-based photographer Karen Wiltshire. Newborn photography is usually done when the baby is less than two weeks old, as Karen explains: “At this stage babies are really sleepy and still squishy from being in mummy’s tummy. After the first two weeks they becomes more aware of their surroundings so it may take a little more time to get curled up and sleepy.” This two week window means that would-be parents often book Karen around the same time as the 20 week scan. “I pencil in a session for ten days from the due date,” she adds.
There are some key points that parents should bear in mind when booking a session auch as is the photographer properly insured and are they experienced in handling newborns safely? And are premises and equipment safe and clean?
Newborn photographers will have an extensive props cupboard and in Karen’s case this includes a vast array of hats from CobWebKnits’ collection – these range from fruit, veg and flowers to regal crowns, policeman helmets and animals. You may want to consider bringing some of your own props that reflects mum or dad’s occupation or hobby.
Most newborn photographers play some white noise in the background to soothe the baby and sessions generally take four hours. “We always want a sleepy happy baby,” says Karen. “Once they’ve got the baby undressed and given them a feed we should hopefully be rewarded with a contented baby. If mum feels happy then baby generally is too.”
Above all else both Su and Karen agree that finding a fully trained newborn specialist photographer will ensure the baby is photographed safely and you will have some pictures to treasure and share of your special new arrival.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN £200 worth of luxury silk bed products
- 3 Win a luxury ladies watch worth £199
- 4 10 Cheshire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 5 Win £500 of English wine from Lyme Bay Winery
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 Win a watercolour painting of The Matchings by artist James Merriott
- 8 Win super stylish summer shades!
- 9 13 delicious afternoon teas to try in Somerset
- 10 A 5.3 mile circular walk around Sandwich
• New midwife-led Birth Centre at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital - A new midwife-led Birth Centre at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital is providing mothers-to-be with a world of choice, as Ellie Cowley discovers.