Six things to do in Manchester to celebrate Chinese New Year
- Credit: Archant
Manchester welcomes the Chinese New Year of the Horse in a full programme of diverse activities. Here’s our pick of the bunch
Grab a bite to eat
There plenty of eateries in the Chinatown area, from Dim Sum at the legendary Yang Sing to savoury buns at Ho’s Bakery.
St Anns square has been transformed by a stunning red lantern display and will be hosting a food market and pop-up bar.
Chinese food market, St Anns Square
30 January - 1 February
Get glammed up
- 1 WIN £200 worth of luxury silk bed products
- 2 Win a luxury ladies watch worth £199
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 Win super stylish summer shades!
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 A fond farewell to Torbay from the captain of cruise ship Eurodam
- 7 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 8 13 beautiful riverside pubs to visit in the Cotswolds
- 9 Property of the month: Godfreys Farmhouse, Great Totham
- 10 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
Every purchase in the Beauty Department at Harvey Nichols will grant you a a lucky red envelope containing an exclusive beauty offer.
There are also complimentary consultations and lucky dip treatments available.
Harvey Nichols, 21 New Cathedral Street
31 January 2014 - 02 February 2014
Take in some modern art
Local illustrator, Lydia Meiying, creates a horse-themed installation in the picture windows of the Centre for Chinese Contemporary Art.
Lydia Meiying exhibition, CFCCA, Northern Quarter
Until 10 February
Pick up a souvenir
It’s not just paper dragons and waving cats (actually Japanese in origin) the various stands will give you a chance to pick up some traditional as well as quirky, modern trinkets.
Arts and craft fair, Chinatown institution, Princess St
Get in the festival mood
The main event of the Manchester Chinese New Year celebrations. Highlights include the Dragon Parade from the Town Hall to Princess Street, a lion dance, and a 15-minute firework display in Faulkner St.
Dragon Parade, Faulkner St, Chinatown
Catch a movie
A special screening of Peter Ho-Sun Chan’s comedy drama American Dreams in China and a talk from Dr William Schroeder, Lecturer in Chinese Studies at The University of Manchester - Exploring the Chinese Dream
Chinese film season, Cornerhouse, Manchester
For more information visit
or follow @ChinatownMCR for the latest updates