The Cheshire connections to the Great British Bake Off
- Credit: Archant
As the Great British Bake Off returns to our screens this week, we take a look back at some of the local bakers we cheered on in the past.
Ruth Clemens The Cheshire Housewife from Poynton narrowly missed out on becoming the inaugural Great British Bake Off champion back in 2010.
Her Bake Off appearance has helped her launch a baking empire, she has written a number of books and runs a baking blog called the Pink Whisk and is a regular on the food festival circuit.
Yasmin Limbert The childminder from the Wirral had a decent run in the second series of the show, bagging the Star Baker prize in week 3 thanks to a strong all round performance.
However she was elimanated in week 6 after a disasterous Rose Croquembouche showstopper, in which she managed to burn herself and her sugar casing. Ouch!
Claire Goodwin The speech and language therapist from Sale was from a cake making background as both her mother and grandmother were wedding cake decorators.
However her stay on the show was a brief as it could be as she was eliminated in the first week of series 5 after finishing 8th in the technical challenge and failing to impress the judges with her Mini chocolate & cherry cakes showstoppers.
Luis Troyano The Stockport graphic designer really put Cheshire on the map on his impressive run to the final, where he just lost out the eventual winner, Nancy Birtwhistle.
Luis referenced his home county on a few occasions during the series; in week 6 six his ‘Dobas Torte’ Showstopper resembled Lyme Cage, and in the final his Village in Chocolate paid tribute to Poynton.
- 1 A haunting Cotswolds memoir of growing up in a ménage à trois in the 1950s
- 2 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 3 5 Yorkshire walking locations with great cafes
- 4 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 Photos reveal how Lancaster has changed
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 Historic Surrey Homes: Albury Park Mansion
- 9 6 great walks near Grassington
- 10 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
Of course it’s not just the contestants who have an affinity to Cheshire, Paul Hollywood worked at the Chester Grosvenor Hotel in the 80’s.